Best speaker for use with VVR-equipped 18 watter?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Animal

Re: Best speaker for use with VVR-equipped 18 watter?

Post by Animal »

i am shocked you aren't a supported of the green beret or the other greenback re-issues since you are a ceramic kinda guy. 20 Watts would be perfect in the 2x12 set up for this 18 watt trinity plexi. Im honest at a total loss and am just gonna pull the trigger soon and get what ever I get. I do enjoy the tone tubby ceramic 40/40. But the eminence wizard has really got some killer tone but toooo loud.

What about the creambacks?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I love the ceramic 40/40 also. I think you should check out the Alnico Red. It's warmer and less highs than the 40/40. There's probably some youtube video comparisons out there. A lot of people put the two of them together in a 2x12.

As much as I love ceramics, I'm definitely getting some alnicos to try out next. Eminence's "The Governor" is another great ceramic speaker with tame highs if you want to stay with ceramics. It's a loud speaker, but not bad.

Like CurtissRobin said, it always comes down to tradeoffs. You're going to have a battle between speaker tone and speaker efficiency to make your final decision. I would lean towards the tone, as you can always adjust the volume.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

Played my 10" Greenback today in my Mom's basement ... with the thick low end that it has it's a great low volume speaker!
0 x