help on TMB connections?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

help on TMB connections?

Post by jhguitarlab »

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of a non MV TMB and have quite a bit done.
I'm hoping to get some confirmation/critique/abuse from the group on some of my connection points and values before proceeding to the final stretch. If someone has the patience I've attached a gif of a layout I've been working up along the way. In particular some verification on the following would be great:

The input/pot connections. A bit nervous about the ones shown brown(Jacks are shown side view for clarity).
The jumpers and resisters on the tube sockets.
The actual B+ connections (do you folks make connections under the tag board).
V2 (PIN 2&3) connections.

The transformers are the Heybours from Graydon.

Perhaps this layout when finished could be helpful for others as well.

Thanks for any help

John
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

There are quite a few thing that seem to be in the wrong place,or no hookup at all.. Driver/PI and second channel. I 'm not much of a puter artist..and when i change things i can't figure out how to make the drawing to be less in a file size for sending or posting. If you use this type setup.. you split the first tube.. second tube is PI/driver should be pretty much the same as a normal 18.. then look at any of the plexi bassman type amps for the wiring on the 3rd tube. Looks close but you left a few things out.and added some together.. Mark may know how to clean up the drawing.. or i'll try.
and add all the hookups. this is pretty much just a plexi or bassman type layout.. The reason i kinda did mine in reverse was.. because i already had a trem channel..and i took it out.. the B+ hookup for the v3 was wired under the board.. so i just laid it out kinda backward.. So i didn't have to remove the board and rewire things. You can use a few different tweaks or values.. for the more lead type amp. maybe a 33k or 47k in place of the 56k..and .022 for the bass and mid caps..500pf for the treble cap. Theres lots of little tweaks that you can do to voice the amp a bit different.. I can say one thing .. using this setup, the amp will have alot more gain than the normal 18 circut. I've built a couple of these amps so far.. one using 6v6s.. And add a little mojo dust to control some things..:)
Richie
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

Plexi wrote:look at any of the plexi bassman type amps for the wiring on the 3rd tube.
Looks close but you left a few things out.and added some together.. Mark may know how to clean up the drawing.. or i'll try.
and add all the hookups.
this is pretty much just a plexi or bassman type layout.. the B+ hookup for the v3 was wired under the board..

And add a little mojo dust to control some things..:)
Richie
Thanks for the reply Richie,
I was working from this attachment. It appears to be a modified version of Mark D's original Trem layout . It's hard to read.

Any help cleaning this up would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'll sudy the Bassmen layout and get out the dust;-]
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

try again with the attachment
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I can see why.. going by that drawing its hard to tell what goes where,and things crossing and left out.. Looks like part of my TMB..but i don't recall redoing it on his.. I used Colins amp layout and changed the pic.. I'll try to get it drawn up..
Richie
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

Plexi wrote:I can see why.. going by that drawing its hard to tell what goes where,and things crossing and left out.. Looks like part of my TMB..but i don't recall redoing it on his.. I used Colins amp layout and changed the pic.. I'll try to get it drawn up..
Richie
:oops: :o :? :lol: :)
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

Your help is most greatly appreciated.

JH
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Plexi wrote:...and add a little mojo dust to control some things..:)
Richie
Richie, I couldn't find dust on the Mojo Musical Supply website so I think Mojo is not selling dust right now. Do you have some I could buy? I need all I can get!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

As far as I know there is no currently manufactured Mojo dust.

I do have a limited supply of NOS Mojo dust available for anyone who would assist me in completing my project;-]
:lol:
0 x

Bob

Post by Bob »

I just completed my TBM amp last week, I also have builded the 18 watter with the tremolo in the second channel and I am currently working on an 18 watter with reverb. The layout that you are using is the same one I started out with, but I have make alot on charges to the plans. I took the tone stack for a Fender BF and the second stage amp plus the connection to the PI. I fired the Amp last week, and it have all the volume you would want and a good range of tones for the TMB controls. The problem I have is the amp is too loud, so I going to use a 12av7 in the 3rd tube socket. Hopifully this with bring the volume down a little so I can get by one on the volume control. Good luck
Bob
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Wow i posted a replay a long time back on Graydons dust thing..lol never showed up.. Well i almost have one drawn up...i don't have a fancy draw program,its hard to make one decent using what i have.. but up to getting the controls drawn up..Norm is also drawing up one..
Richie
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

Thanks much guys!

:D
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Check yer mail.. hopefully this might help.. boy do i need a drawing program..lol

Richie
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

Thanks again. I see you've spent some time on this and it gets me back on the bench anyway;-]
The pre-amp wiring is quite a bit different from what I had. I think I'm clear on how to take out the master volume but have a few questions on the additional filtering etc and I'll just add them with arrows on the drawing and shoot it to your e-mail.
JH
0 x