new build 36lite with vvr

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: new build 36lite with vvr

Post by chaliapin »

Well it's almost definitely not a tubes problem, I've switched them all about and round with very little difference. Still sounds great not in the box, nasty vibrating sound on certain pitches when the chassis in inside the cab. I could have made several head cabinets in the time ive been messing about with it. So any suggestions or should I just get cutting wood...?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 02/27/23 2:35 pm
Well it's almost definitely not a tubes problem, I've switched them all about and round with very little difference. Still sounds great not in the box, nasty vibrating sound on certain pitches when the chassis in inside the cab. I could have made several head cabinets in the time ive been messing about with it. So any suggestions or should I just get cutting wood...?
Maybe the EL84 are making mechanical noises? There are tube rings for that… those spring retainers can be a pita too…
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Mount the chassis in the cabinet properly. Try shaking it and see if you hear anything. If not, place the cabinet on a pair of gym shoes (no contact with cabinet and floor) and play it and see if you still hear the weird noise. Or just build more cabinets.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I'm going round in circles and feeling quite defeated. Managed to have a break and play it outside today. Chassis still not mounted and tried another speaker in another combo as well. Nasty crackle static at high volume playing loud on the low E. It's worse with some pre amp valves than others but can't get rid of it. Have several pretty new jj s, a pair of old electro harmonix and even an old groove tubes ay7 I found hanging around. Rectifier is a ten year old previously unused jj gz34s.

I have 8 Russian el84s and 2jj. Out of those only 2 have properly low voltage on the grid pin, ( less than 30mv) it's not my soldering/ sockets, as the voltages follow the tubes. Pairing those two either side of the pp with a more leaky valve gives a steady 50-60 mv on the grids which seems ok?

Im about a week away from starting working properly 7 days a week until November and becoming a dad again in the summer and I desperately want this working properly!

Im not really expecting answers, just whinging really, but any suggestions appreciated.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Two things.

1. JJs are terrible. Don't use them.

2. I don't know what your noise issue sounds like, but have you tried the Paul Ruby mod? You can see it on the Superlite TMB docs.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Don't think it's blocking distortion but ruby mod can't hurt can it?

Diodes I have are

5v, 5w zeners x4

10v 5w zeners x2

And a strip labelled 4001 with n400 and dc on the actual diodes.

I can't do the mod with those can I?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Your Zeners should be a few volts higher than the cathode voltage. 5W is overkill.. I use 13V 1.3W zeners on 18 watts
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm is correct, we use 5W or higher for B+ reduction. 1W or better for Ruby mod. You need the correct voltages though, and besides the Zeners, you should use UF4007 diodes. I use 1N4744 15V Zeners with UF4007 diodes.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Ok so ive rewired v1 for a 6n2p as it doesn't have the double heater wire to fit in. V1 is around 130v which seems a bit low? I now have a choice of two of those for v1 and two elderly harmonix for v2 as well as loads of jjs. So id say I MUST SURELY have a functioning valve for pre and pi. Only jj left its the rectifier. If all the voltages are right can I leave it where it is for now?

Couldn't crank to check sound but at minimum levels bass sounds fatter and warmer and all else sounds good.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Fri 03/03/23 5:06 pm
Ok so ive rewired v1 for a 6n2p as it doesn't have the double heater wire to fit in. V1 is around 130v which seems a bit low? I now have a choice of two of those for v1 and two elderly harmonix for v2 as well as loads of jjs. So id say I MUST SURELY have a functioning valve for pre and pi. Only jj left its the rectifier. If all the voltages are right can I leave it where it is for now?

Couldn't crank to check sound but at minimum levels bass sounds fatter and warmer and all else sounds good.
Did you happen to already have 6N2P tubes?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Got a couple with my power tubes from Ukraine. Where do you ground pin nine? With the Jack inputs and pre amp?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Fri 03/03/23 5:24 pm
Got a couple with my power tubes from Ukraine. Where do you ground pin nine? With the Jack inputs and pre amp?
No, I ground mine at the stand off terminal of the grid stopper or at a dedicated ground lug which I put under the nut of the tube socket
657971B6-98A9-4D1A-BC94-2D0F3C1A8BA0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Great thanks I'll do that. Seem to get more radio interference with the tube change. May have to add the 56k resistor onto pin 2 is that right?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Fri 03/03/23 5:43 pm
Great thanks I'll do that. Seem to get more radio interference with the tube change. May have to add the 56k resistor onto pin 2 is that right?
If you’re referring to V1 most of us put a 10k there
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Also a little more hum than previously. I have v1p4 connected to v2p9, should I switch them round?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Tube change did nothing for the awful noise.

Quick clip, guitar on 4-5, volume 6-7. Don't mind the static click, it's my electric fencer, I have to turn it off when I'm playing.

I didn't have this problem until recently I don't think! I thought I had a new problem with static clicks but it was an electric heater plugged into the same socket causing the noise in the amp.

Does that sound like blocking distortion?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Fri 03/03/23 6:14 pm
Also a little more hum than previously. I have v1p4 connected to v2p9, should I switch them round?
I’m thinking it should not matter which heater wire goes to what pin. Look at old fenders… they had the heater wires both in the same green… and nobody was organising them in a symmetrical pattern. A 12ax7 is a double triode, and it doesn’t matter which triode comes first
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

My amp is sounding worse by the day...

Im also getting a little static crackle probing anywhere with the meter which I don't remember getting before. Voltages all as they should be.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I can’t play this. I don’t have an account
0 x