new build 36lite with vvr

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: new build 36lite with vvr

Post by Bieworm »

That resistance is probably negligible and it’s also very likely not an accurate thing IMHO
The 6N2P-EV is not the cause of any serious voltage difference. I always use those and they have given me absolutely no trouble at all. On the contrary.. they just deliver, every single one
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Sat 09/23/23 5:10 am
I have 100uf to hand but nothing larger, will that be any improvement?
It might help a little. I think you need to go to 2200µF though.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Well the always on ups reduces rubbish from washing machine and electric fencer but still angry noise at full power and volume up to 6, guitar on full. Patched over the vvr, no change.

Mostly sounds good on lower power, no nasty noises.

Another highlighter test revealed nothing, several caps do not have the values marked on them. I could take them out and test them but I did test them before installing. Would I see a problem in the voltages if there was a problem here?

Could be the power tubes, I haven't got alternatives yet. However with the pp-se mod I can use 2 at a time. Switching them round does nothing, seems unlikely more than once is bad?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I also have done nothing concerning the jj rectifier tube. Could this be failing to supply enough juice when asked to although appearing to work fine the rest of the time.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Sun 10/01/23 7:55 am
I also have done nothing concerning the jj rectifier tube. Could this be failing to supply enough juice when asked to although appearing to work fine the rest of the time.
just delete that tube. It's nothing but trouble and zero to be gained. Go SS on this amp..
1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I was going to add protection diodes, would that be enough?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 10/02/23 3:06 am
I was going to add protection diodes, would that be enough?
They won't reach the B+. You have to tie them together. Better take 2x 2 diodes in series and join them at the A-node or standby switch. it's a 2 minute job ;)

Or if you have the space you can add a switch to choose between SS and tube rectification.It goes without saying that this switch should be a decent one with good power handling, not the mini switch type of thing. And never switch with the power on!
SS to tube rectifier switch EZ81.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks, I have a single switch 240vac rated. What about rob's version?

https://robrobinette.com/Generic_Tube_A ... ier_Switch
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 10/02/23 4:39 am
Thanks, I have a single switch 240vac rated. What about rob's version?

https://robrobinette.com/Generic_Tube_A ... ier_Switch
that's ok too, but mine is safer. On Rob's you are going to switch the DC voltage, which is a lot higher and DC is more dangerous and hard on the switch. But hey, the standby switch is done this way too, so go ahead. But also know that a DPDT switch on the AC side of the HT winding, switching the 2 HT wires at once is also a safer way. Same deal for the HT fuse.. better 2 fuses, one on each wire. There's been a lot of discussion about this, but that is my conclusion.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 10/02/23 4:13 am
Or if you have the space you can add a switch to choose between SS and tube rectification.It goes without saying that this switch should be a decent one with good power handling, not the mini switch type of thing. And never switch with the power on!
Or you can do it my way. Replace the Standby switch with a DPDT On-OFF-On switch. Standby is the middle position, then tube or ss rec on one of the other two positions. No extra switches needed.

SS rec is better though. The tube rectifier doesn't do anything for your amp tone. Sag resistors take care of the sag if somebody cares about that.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Put in the ss switch as per rob as I had the parts. B plus up but no improvement in sound. Bypass caps are now 100uf made no difference.

Did my highlighter test, found nothing but I'm unable to verify a few caps as they are not marked with values.

The 5n cap I think is the coupling cap after v1 before the volume and tone and the 5n going to ground from the volume and tone. I also couldn't verify the coupling caps to the power section but I replaced those previously and verified them on the meter before installing. Should I remove the 5n caps and test? I would have tested before installing originally.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Start over, this thread has gotten cuckoo.

Post NEW voltages, and NEW photos of the build in its current state.

Post a schematic that's accurate to your current setup; if you've changed something, notate that on the schematic.

I think you may need to improve your filter caps, and you should definitely try a 2200uF cathode cap. You also need to try new tubes to rule the tubes out, speculating doesn't help.
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale