new build 36lite with vvr

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: new build 36lite with vvr

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 03/06/23 10:02 am
Guitar volume mostly low when I put the amp up around 8 so I don't blow my ears. I will order more resistors soon, they may be adding noise but they're not the thing making the amp sound crap...?
If you turn down your guitar volume, you're also turning down the gain. These amps are touch-sensitive, that means the intensity of the guitar will directly effect the amount of distortion you get from the amp. You can pick lighter, or you can turn down the guitar volume, and that will reduce the distortion.

You can't keep your guitar volume down and then complain that your amp doesn't have distortion; it doesn't have distortion because the guitar volume is down.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I understand how the guitar volume affects how the amp is driven. I'm not complaining about distortion or lack of it. The problem is the distortion I have sounds nasty and static pops as in the last clip. I want the bit of headroom the 36w has when it's working right. Mine just isn't working right...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Okay, do what I said previously regarding grid stopper resistors and your 1M input resistor. Also put in the Paul Ruby mod. Then take new voltages, and create a new demo. Do the new demo with the guitar at 100% volume. Also, sweep the volume range while you play.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Oh yeah I said 'no nice distortion' I meant there WAS distortion but it WASN'T nice...

Are you saying you know my resistors are not metal film or just replace them because they
Probably aren't?

Let's face it, if all the right components are in the right places it's either bad solder joints, bad tubes, bad wires or bad lead dress. I've now got a fair collection of tubes now and ive spent ages moving wires around...

Gonna order other parts for rob's 10% power output mod, ihave an extra Jack socket drilled and it seems just like a simple attenuator right? Seems a bit optimistic at this point but id like to try to implement pp-se mod from vajra, it's basically a ppmv for one side of the pp circuit right? Also gonna order parts to put the vvr on pi and pa only. Don't worry, I won't start on anything until the basic circuit is sorted but the postage is most of the cost of the components...

Any pointers on components the pp-se mod for 36w appreciated.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

You won’t like the 10% mod. If you think your distortion sucks now, wait until you hear that.. it’s sh#te
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Agreed. More importantly, never mod an unhealthy amp.

I don't know what your resistors are, I can't keep track of all the threads on this site. 😉 I'm telling you to make sure they're 1W metal film. You said you put 47k and 56k as grid stoppers, and I'm telling you to replace them with 10k 1W metal film, but to also have 33k 1W MF in case you need to go higher. The input 1M resistor needs to be metal film, because if it isn't, that can introduce noise as well.

You're feeding bad signal into a questionable amp and expecting it to give you pretty sounds. You need your guitar at 100% volume, and you need to isolate the issues with your amp from external noise to make any progress.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks guys. Bieworm, I don't think you approve of anything other than the amp turned up to 11...

Thanks Josh, that's great and clear
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 03/06/23 2:49 pm
Thanks guys. Bieworm, I don't think you approve of anything other than the amp turned up to 11...

Thanks Josh, that's great and clear
Lol!😁 but no, actually. I think it’s silly to have a 36W amp and then attenuate the SH*T out of it. One day you will agree that even an 18 watt is too loud most of the time.
1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I thought the silliness and 'stink of a too loud electric guitar' was what it was all about!

Restrung my strat last night, the volume controls actually work on that guitar! Static still there, distortion still a bit unmusical but sounded pretty good with the volume rolled back and the amp up full.

Crackles, pops and dodgy distortion sounds a lot like descriptions of a dying power tube. I definitely damaged some tubes when the coupling cap was dying on me. I wish I had four KNOWN GOOD tubes or a known good amp I could try them in.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Tue 03/07/23 3:44 am
I thought the silliness and 'stink of a too loud electric guitar' was what it was all about!

Restrung my strat last night, the volume controls actually work on that guitar! Static still there, distortion still a bit unmusical but sounded pretty good with the volume rolled back and the amp up full.

Crackles, pops and dodgy distortion sounds a lot like descriptions of a dying power tube. I definitely damaged some tubes when the coupling cap was dying on me. I wish I had four KNOWN GOOD tubes or a known good amp I could try them in.
That's important! You can solder the snot out of your amp, but if the tubes are bad.. you can keep soldering but it won't change a thing
1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I know Josh told me to go away and order parts for ruby mod etc but I can't let it go and in my infinite ignorance I think there's something more wrong than blocking distortion. I swapped every tube in the amp with something else although I only have five power tubes which don't leak dc onto the grid. Different flavours of dog do.

The intermittent buzz I'm pretty sure is not specific to my amp as I just heard it faintly exactly the same in my solid state hifi.

Amp volume is on full in this clip (yes Bie!) and im increasing the guitar volume. Guitar is freshly tuned with electronic tuner but down a semi tone. Hopefully this gives a clearer picture of what I have.

Side question, would the amp give out less overall volume with a single coil, ie lower, input? Maybe it's because im not fighting feedback but volume seems much more manageable with the strat. Err. Or I'm sending myself deaf...
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Higher output guitar pickups have the opposite effect of lowering the volume to reduce gain. Higher output increases distortion. You can use a boost pedal to push the amp harder too.

You're still not listening about setting up a useful test scenario. Guitar at 100% volume, amp NOT at 100% volume. Amp should be 30 to 50% volume during testing. Turning the amp up to 100% isn't going to do anything for you except increase the likelihood of having issues. Do your testing at 30 to 50%, get it good, THEN crank it to 100% to see what's left that might need to be cleaned up. By 50% you should have plenty of dirt.

Here's a thought: let's say your tubes were all fine. But since somebody is stubborn about listening to people trying to help him, he keeps his amp at 100% all the time for testing, pushing the tubes beyond any reasonable safe zone. What if there are issues with the amp or voltage, or external issues that can negatively impact the health of those tubes? Pushing everything beyond reason in the test environment isn't the best way to troubleshoot or diagnose any issues. That's what QC does AFTER the product is completed. 🤣

What I said about getting the front end correct (input resistor and grid stoppers) is to help block noise and radio interference. You clearly have an issue with this. You might want to also invest in a filtered inlet (like the Schaffner FN9262-10-06), or a filtered power strip (like the Furman SS6B).

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is where patience might be more effective. 😉

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant sweep the volume range on the guitar but you meant guitar up full and sweep the amp volume.
2 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Strat on full volume into the hot input, amp on five volume gives clean ish tone with nasty glassy crackle. Not much hiss or excessive noise.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Would this do? Furman seems unavailable/ expensive over here

https://ie.farnell.com/phonapart/cs929- ... dp/3530988

They also sell handy things like metal film resistors etc...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Wed 03/08/23 5:46 am
Would this do? Furman seems unavailable/ expensive over here

https://ie.farnell.com/phonapart/cs929- ... dp/3530988

They also sell handy things like metal film resistors etc...
They block me from viewing their site, but if it's filtering the mains, then it should probably help.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

6 way, 2m mains conditioner and radio frequency interference filter for home cinema and hi-fi.

Contains a powerful mains conditioning filter

Reduces or eliminates mains interference

Helps to enhance sound and picture quality

Incorporates surge protection

Mains cable shielded with aluminium foil

Applications

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

1 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Mains conditioner and ruby mod in. Not replaced input resistors yet. Amp seems a little better behaved up to halfway amp volume (guitar ON FULL), no popping or static or particular humming for the ten minutes I managed to play earlier. At half volume there is a a little dirt in the sound but nothing you'd call overdrive or crunch. It's pretty loud at that point but I don't have much here to compare it to and say if it's producing the right volume. Turning up further gives unmusical harmonics with the distortion along with fartiness...

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Take new voltages and post them all.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale