new build 36lite with vvr

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: new build 36lite with vvr

Post by JMPGuitars »

Put grid stoppers in correctly, and use a terminal strip to secure them, see below. I'd still use 10K resistors, but you can go up to 33K if the effect is only partially effective. I'm assuming you followed your schematic for series/parallel input jacks. Use a 3 lug terminal strip:
input grid resistors.jpg

Then try again.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks Josh,

I have 47k or 10k in quarter watt. Is mounting the tag on the valve socket bolt bad practice?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Sun 03/05/23 12:39 pm
Thanks Josh,

I have 47k or 10k in quarter watt. Is mounting the tag on the valve socket bolt bad practice?
However 1/4 watt is no problem in that position it might be noisy to use those. Higher wattage resistors are more quiet. But given the current and voltage there it should withstand the power
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks guys, I installed them covered in heat wrap. So far quite a lot worse, hummy and bad distortion but im hoping it's lead dress around the tag strip, gonna chopstick that now.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Chopsticked for a bit, managed to get rid of most of the buzz, treble a bit glassy and not sounding as good as last night. Nasty noise still there when turned up. Some little bit of radio static with no guitar plugged in and the volume up full.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I am puzzled about you trying to tune the amp and always mention you turn the volume at max. All my amps are noisy at max, even without anything plugged in. Why are you testing the amp at max volume?
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I guess to make it easier to notice if something changes the noise and to make it as quiet as possible? I think since adding the grid stoppers I have no improvement in the sound and a new 100-120hz buzz I can't reduce or get rid of. I assume the way I have installed them is ok? It's Only there with a guitar plugged in and is exactly the same with guitar volume up or down, checked all the grounds, no effect. Buzz volume goes up and down with the amp volume.

I think I'll try the bigger 47k resistors and how they go. I wouldn't mind losing a little treble from this amp anyway...
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Sun 03/05/23 6:20 pm
I guess to make it easier to notice if something changes the noise and to make it as quiet as possible? I think since adding the grid stoppers I have no improvement in the sound and a new 100-120hz buzz I can't reduce or get rid of. I assume the way I have installed them is ok? It's Only there with a guitar plugged in and is exactly the same with guitar volume up or down, checked all the grounds, no effect. Buzz volume goes up and down with the amp volume.

I think I'll try the bigger 47k resistors and how they go. I wouldn't mind losing a little treble from this amp anyway...
I'd think it's not the best way to search for noise issues at levels you will never play the amp anyway. Any amp will make noise when on full volume.
The buzz that appeared when you put in grid stoppers... are those the 1/4 watt resistors? Like I said, they tend to make more noise than higher wattage resistors. I use at least 1 watt metal film or 2 watt metal oxide resistors in those spots. And really make sure you use a heat sink when soldering them. Over heated resistors are bound to make noise as well...
Please show on a schematic where you've put the grid stoppers.
By the way, I don't think 47k is going to make a lot of difference. When you start tweaking this kind of stuff you need to make bigger jumps and dial back. Try 220k or even 470k and go down from there... But at V1a I wouldn't go higher than 68k.
And for Pete's sake, roll down the volume to acceptable levels. You're chasing ghosts the way you're addressing this... I always do this at 3 or 4 on the volume
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks bieworm,

Im normally working around volume 3, only up high with nothing plugged in. Buzz came with the quarter watt grid stoppers yes. Ive only been using a heat sink when soldering caps... although I doubt they toasted as I was soldering them with the sheilded cable which is really easy to melt...

They're inline with the inputs.

Input Jack- sheilded cable- solder strip- resistor- grid v1.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 03/06/23 3:56 am
Thanks bieworm,

Im normally working around volume 3, only up high with nothing plugged in. Buzz came with the quarter watt grid stoppers yes. Ive only been using a heat sink when soldering caps... although I doubt they toasted as I was soldering them with the sheilded cable which is really easy to melt...

They're inline with the inputs.

Input Jack- sheilded cable- solder strip- resistor- grid v1.
I would avoid the tiny resistors in an amp. They are best used in applications where there is no space (i.e. pcb boards in electronic devices such as TV, radio,...)
The best way to succes is the use of proper, oversized parts, which will grant you more reliability and sturdiness.
FWIW, some builders put a cap at the input. I think it's mainly for blocking DC on the grid that would sneak in when you run certain FX pedals into the front. The tone king imperial has one. Look at the 1st schematic in the 1st post of this thread:
https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=25123.0
input cap.png
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Thanks bieworm.

Would that block dc on my guitar pots when using the vvr as well? Smallest I have is .01uf.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 03/06/23 4:52 am
Thanks bieworm.

Would that block dc on my guitar pots when using the vvr as well? Smallest I have is .01uf.
The cap would block any DC coming into the amp.
0 x

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Got 47 and 56k stoppers in. Clean sound at low volume ok but no nice distortion and nasty crackle up high...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 03/06/23 6:15 am
Got 47 and 56k stoppers in. Clean sound at low volume ok but no nice distortion and nasty crackle up high...
Order 1W metal film resistors. 10Ks and 33Ks. Your 1M input resistor also needs to be metal film.

Are you using humbuckers? Is the guitar volume up all the way?
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Guitar volume mostly low when I put the amp up around 8 so I don't blow my ears. I will order more resistors soon, they may be adding noise but they're not the thing making the amp sound crap...?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

chaliapin wrote:
Mon 03/06/23 10:02 am
Guitar volume mostly low when I put the amp up around 8 so I don't blow my ears. I will order more resistors soon, they may be adding noise but they're not the thing making the amp sound crap...?
If you turn down your guitar volume, you're also turning down the gain. These amps are touch-sensitive, that means the intensity of the guitar will directly effect the amount of distortion you get from the amp. You can pick lighter, or you can turn down the guitar volume, and that will reduce the distortion.

You can't keep your guitar volume down and then complain that your amp doesn't have distortion; it doesn't have distortion because the guitar volume is down.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

I understand how the guitar volume affects how the amp is driven. I'm not complaining about distortion or lack of it. The problem is the distortion I have sounds nasty and static pops as in the last clip. I want the bit of headroom the 36w has when it's working right. Mine just isn't working right...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Okay, do what I said previously regarding grid stopper resistors and your 1M input resistor. Also put in the Paul Ruby mod. Then take new voltages, and create a new demo. Do the new demo with the guitar at 100% volume. Also, sweep the volume range while you play.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Oh yeah I said 'no nice distortion' I meant there WAS distortion but it WASN'T nice...

Are you saying you know my resistors are not metal film or just replace them because they
Probably aren't?

Let's face it, if all the right components are in the right places it's either bad solder joints, bad tubes, bad wires or bad lead dress. I've now got a fair collection of tubes now and ive spent ages moving wires around...

Gonna order other parts for rob's 10% power output mod, ihave an extra Jack socket drilled and it seems just like a simple attenuator right? Seems a bit optimistic at this point but id like to try to implement pp-se mod from vajra, it's basically a ppmv for one side of the pp circuit right? Also gonna order parts to put the vvr on pi and pa only. Don't worry, I won't start on anything until the basic circuit is sorted but the postage is most of the cost of the components...

Any pointers on components the pp-se mod for 36w appreciated.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

You won’t like the 10% mod. If you think your distortion sucks now, wait until you hear that.. it’s sh#te
1 x