EL84 redplating good voltages v5

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

bluethrush2
Unrated

EL84 redplating good voltages v5

Post by bluethrush2 »

Brand new tube in v1tov6 all j j . all voltages check out good . paint burned on v5 turned 8 into 3 now it reads EL34 . But I know it s el 84. did find loose pins v5 . Helped some but still red plates after 20 minits of robin trower another day another night . orginal name of DAY OF THE EAGLE . I tried to roling stoned same problem . no I don't smoke you know watt. Of course trower could red plate any marshall amp. could use help. Thanks ?
0 x
Bluethrush2 hear 18watts of pure marshall tone.

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Re: EL84 redplating good voltages v5

Post by CurtissRobin »

The voltages can't all be good if it's redplating.

I suggest using the form that's in the downloads section at http://18watt.com/storage/18_watt_volta ... mplate.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Measure the voltages on both output tubes two ways. First, measure them when the amp is on but not being played then have someone else play the thing until you see signs of redplating then measure the voltages again. Post the measurements here.

KennyO
0 x

bluethrush2
Unrated

Re: EL84 redplating good voltages v5

Post by bluethrush2 »

thanks for help KennyO I will try the voltage check , 2 Ways like you said . I don't want to guess at it. I Heard there have been some bad J J tubes bad right out of the box. Brand new , Im goeing to try some Tung sol next. brand new 18 watt Clone . F T filter caps Mallory 150 couple caps. I will keep trying . I have 2 spare amps . thanks for your help. boy tube amps can be a pain but I love the tone and sutain
0 x
Bluethrush2 hear 18watts of pure marshall tone.