Head cab for 18W Superlite in 16x8x2 chassis

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

KenMoon

Head cab for 18W Superlite in 16x8x2 chassis

Post by KenMoon »

Does anybody know where Terry got this cab for his Superlite II PCB amp?

I've only built one Marshall-style headcab before, and it was a little past my ability to get the corners and curved cutouts all looking nice.

Since the Hammond 16x8x2 chassis doesn't have any easy way to bolt into a head cab, the head cab would have to be a bit wider on each side to allow the use of angle brackets (mounted to the outside of the chassis) to hold the chassis in place. This cab looks like it has an extra inch or two on each side, which would be perfect.

I used the standard front/rear panels as shown here from BNP, which are 16x8x2.5 inches.

Thanks!

0 x

SkynyrdSurvivor

Re: Head cab for 18W Superlite in 16x8x2 chassis

Post by SkynyrdSurvivor »

To bolt the chassis to the box:

Do it just like Fender does it. Long screws that pass through the cabinet and come through the other side of the chassis into bolts to hold it all together.

Don't try to over think it, keep it simple, and no one here is stupid. Maybe blinded by cleverness sometimes but not stupid.

Peace and good music,
JB
0 x

KenMoon

Post by KenMoon »

SkynyrdSurvivor wrote:To bolt the chassis to the box:

Do it just like Fender does it. Long screws that pass through the cabinet and come through the other side of the chassis into bolts to hold it all together.

Don't try to over think it, keep it simple, and no one here is stupid. Maybe blinded by cleverness sometimes but not stupid.

Peace and good music,
JB
Good advice, JB!

I am definitely guilty of being "blinded by cleverness" sometimes :oops:
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

Most Hammond chassis have the flange bent to the inside so you have to get the measurments correct for the bolt hole locations. Using long bolts like Fender does can allow the chassis to move a bit during transport.

Send me a message if you have any questions on that cabinet. I may have built that one a long time ago? Looks familier to me.

Jeff Swanson
Swanson Cabinets
DST Engineering
0 x