Build a Cab versus Buy and Strip?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Build a Cab versus Buy and Strip?

Post by JMPGuitars »

That's awesome, I'm glad to hear the WGS is another good place to look for a nice alternative to the celestion stuff. I have an Eminence Private Jack on the way, and that's also supposed to be a better Greenback. I figure if it isn't a vintage English made Celestion, it's not worth the $$$.

To me, modern production Celestion is like taking a a Gibson USA reissue model Les Paul, and having it built in China but still charging $4000 for it because they didn't call it an Epiphone instead.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

makerdp

Post by makerdp »

Well, if this means anything to you...

Paul Reed Smith, at the prices he charges for his amps can afford to put anything he wants into them... a difference of $100 per speaker isn't anything to the type of person who buys a $4000 amplifier. He chooses WGS which is about 1/2 or less the price of an equivalent Celestion.

And they are made in the USA.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

makerdp wrote:Well, if this means anything to you...

Paul Reed Smith, at the prices he charges for his amps can afford to put anything he wants into them... a difference of $100 per speaker isn't anything to the type of person who buys a $4000 amplifier. He chooses WGS which is about 1/2 or less the price of an equivalent Celestion.

And they are made in the USA.
Exactly. There's a lot of great USA made speaker companies to choose from. That's why it doesn't make any sense to me to spend EXTRA money to get something made in China. I'm very happy with what I've used from Eminence, Tone Tubby, and Weber. I'll definitely try some WGS in the future too.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

johnatgburg
Unrated

Post by johnatgburg »

Yes, you should definitely try WGS. I am just completely satisfied with mine so far. I was hoping the slightly less efficient speaker would tame my volume a bit but I don't notice any difference, but that's why I bought the attenuator.
To me, modern production Celestion is like taking a a Gibson USA reissue model Les Paul, and having it built in China but still charging $4000 for it because they didn't call it an Epiphone instead.
I hear ya, I'd never buy something like that. My second guitar which I still own is a '76 Les Paul Custom and I don't think I paid over $685 for it new. Of course, that was like $4000 now. But I also have a problem paying extra for a name or an emblem or insignia. I could care less about that stuff. I think my favorite guitar to play besides my late brother's '83 Flying V is my first guitar, which is an Epiphone. I bought it in '73 for something like $175 and it had the best action ever.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

johnatgburg wrote: I hear ya, I'd never buy something like that. My second guitar which I still own is a '76 Les Paul Custom and I don't think I paid over $685 for it new. Of course, that was like $4000 now. But I also have a problem paying extra for a name or an emblem or insignia. I could care less about that stuff. I think my favorite guitar to play besides my late brother's '83 Flying V is my first guitar, which is an Epiphone. I bought it in '73 for something like $175 and it had the best action ever.
My favorite acoustic is an Epiphone Masterbilt. I'm not big on names either, but it does illustrate the point well. ;)
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

johnatgburg
Unrated

Post by johnatgburg »

I used to make guitars before I went back to school, and I sold a few for somewhere in the $5k range. I only hope that they play as well now as my old Epiphone still does...
0 x