speaker selection for first 18 watt build

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

robthemac
Unrated

Re: speaker selection for first 18 watt build

Post by robthemac »

An early-80's G12-65 has appeared near me, which might be an option. They have a rep for being quite aggressive, but it's somewhere to start.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

That’s interesting! I always imagine VOX when I see those Alnico blues not a Marshall.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Vox players tend to like a lot of top end sizzle. I think I would like those blues in an 18W, but that's not for everybody . IMHO an old G12h30 from the 70's is THE speaker for an 18W. The G12 65 is more likely a mid scooped high gain type of thing. It will rob your 18W of its sweetness. get yourself an old G12h30 and you won't look back. Stay away from the recent 70th anniversary series... those stink! Heck, I even really like V30's in my 18 watts
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

"How hard is VVR to incorporate into a standard 18W circuit?"

If you look in the Downloads in the mods and circuit ideas section there is a circuit for TMB Siii with VVR for PA and PI. I used that power supply design as the method for incorporating VVR into my original trem circuit. Not too hard to do if you redraw that part of the circuit first. It calls for some extra parts which I incorporated on a tag strip alongside a pre-made small circuit board bought online. The control is on the back of the chassis to maintain the original look.

It is worth the effort to make it apply only to PA and PI. You can drop the voltage a long way and maintain the 18 watt tone.

If you apply to the whole you can only drop it 50% or so before you get degraded lower tones as it affects the preamp valves. Also if you have a trem it stops working at some point as you lower the voltage.

Dd
2 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

G12M 20W is a great match with an 18W in my opinion/experience. They are very warm, rich, and detailed in a small space, and slightly less efficient too.

I do not care for the more recent G12H30 55Hz speakers. Way too boomy with a brittle top end for my taste. YMMV.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

colossal wrote:
Tue 02/01/22 10:35 am

I do not care for the more recent G12H30 55Hz speakers. Way too boomy with a brittle top end for my taste. YMMV.
I agree - and I think those ones are made in China, not England :(
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Tue 02/01/22 4:20 pm
colossal wrote:
Tue 02/01/22 10:35 am

I agree - and I think those ones are made in China, not England :(
The 75Hz anniversary series is made in China.. crap speakers.
The 55Hz heritage is UK made. They are really good though.. people who own them claim they're the closest recent production celestion compared to the vintage G12h30
I don't know, but I'm buying one 2nd hand this week
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"