Cabinet Baffle Construction

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

corliss1
Unrated

Cabinet Baffle Construction

Post by corliss1 »

Hey everyone!

I've built several other style cabinets in the past but I'm struggling to understand how a traditional 18 watt baffle goes together.

I've downloaded and read through the super nice plans from http://modulusamplification.com/FREE_CA ... NS-W6.aspx and that helped clear up a few things but I still don't understand the baffle and valence relationship.

I know you're supposed to attach the grill cloth across the top before you attach the valance but you can't (or at least I don't seem to be able to...) staple into something that is only 1/4" thick without it splitting. You're also supposed to staple the center piece of piping onto the valence before you glue it down to the baffle.

If anyone could show me some *detailed* pictures about how this works I would be extremely appreciative. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Cabinet Baffle Construction

Post by JMPGuitars »

I'm not sure why you're using 1/4" for the baffle? I've never seen one less than 1/2". Looking at the drawings you linked, they show the baffle board, and the baffle strips, to both be 1/2" (12mm is 0.47 inches, round up to 1/2"). Look at pages 19 and 20 and they show the individual pieces with the correct measurements.

1/4" wouldn't be strong enough to support the staples, never mind a speaker.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

corliss1
Unrated

Post by corliss1 »

Yeah - I meant 1/2" for the baffle itself and then 1/4" for the strips.

So you're saying both the baffle *and* the strips are 1/2" then? If so, the entire baffle assembly is 1" correct?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

corliss1 wrote:Yeah - I meant 1/2" for the baffle itself and then 1/4" for the strips.

So you're saying both the baffle *and* the strips are 1/2" then? If so, the entire baffle assembly is 1" correct?
Look at page 15 where it references the baffle strips, they're also listed as 12mm. So according to those docs, yes, 1" total.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

corliss1
Unrated

Post by corliss1 »

Ah - I gotcha - I just missed that the way the drawings were broken up for some reason. I really can read I swear :wink:

Thanks!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

corliss1 wrote:Ah - I gotcha - I just missed that the way the drawings were broken up for some reason. I really can read I swear :wink:

Thanks!

Haha, no problem. It's a nicely detailed doc, but I could see how some of those details could get lost the way it's laid out.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

corliss1
Unrated

Post by corliss1 »

Any thoughts on how some builders do this with hardwood? I know you can get hardwood in 1/2" as well but then there'd be a visible seam/transition between the hardwood and the black-painted baffle piece up by the controls. (I'm assuming front-mounted combo controls when I say that)
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Piping? Is that the area you're referring to? There's tons of tricks to working with hardwoods and laminate fronts. Sometimes there's a combination of tolex and hardwood, or different types of hardwood with nice contrast. It's really just a matter of creativity and planning ahead. :wink:
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

corliss1
Unrated

Post by corliss1 »

I was concerned with the top area under the controls. Although this isn't a high-res picture you can get the idea

http://site.humbuckermusic.com/blog1/wp ... 00x202.jpg

It looks like they do a gloss black (or something similar) behind that blue panel.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Oh, that's the control plate. That's usually metal or plastic, only sometimes wood. I get mine made from bnplasers.com, they do a great job. I make the designs, and then they create the plates. They actually made both my control plate and name plate in this photo:

Here's another photo from a different amp where you can see just the control plate attached to a chassis:

0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale