Recommendations for a single ten inch speaker for 18 watt

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: Recommendations for a single ten inch speaker for 18 watt

Post by geoff 1965 »

it's the lite2 parallel/drive "18 watt"! which i'm still working on taming/tuning that cascaded beast i've unleashed! i could have built 5 amps in the time i've spent on that mod! my PT has 275V and 190V taps so i can switch to half power "9 watts" for some early breakup but don't tell Dd!
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

By the way, I personally don't feel any of the builds on that list are questionable. To me they are all valid 18W variants.

I guess if an amp has a similar topology and puts out in the neighborhood of 15-20W that would be enough for my admittedly low threshold of inclusion. Maybe unless it was all transistor or something foul like that...
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah i know,just having some fun! i understand what Dd means though,you have to keep within certain parameters or the forum will turn into another PPWatt.com. i like your innovative thinking and input,and that's the beauty of this forum,you get people of all skill & knowledge levels and it's a great place to learn and exchange idea's.
personally i have no background in electronics and no interest to be honest "but" i'm obsessed with valve guitar amps!
1 x

kinmike
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kinmike »

By the way, I'm the OP and I went with a Celestion Greenback Ten. Sounds good but due to all the amps I have, I don't think it's broken in yet. Will it change much?

Thanks, Mike
1 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I fitted a 16 ohm version of that in a clone of a JTM1 combo I built for a friend. It really suits that amp which is much gainier (is that a word?) and grittier than the 18 watt. It took only a short time to mature and sounds great. It sounded more open as you would expect after a wee while of hard playing. Like my 10" Vintage 30s your speaker will need pushing to get there.

Dd
1 x