Marshall 1960A Cab. Appropriate for 18W?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Crabman

Marshall 1960A Cab. Appropriate for 18W?

Post by Crabman »

Hi folks

I have an option to pick up a 1960A 4 x 12 cab cheap. These cabs come loaded with G12T-75 speakers. I know these haven't been my favourite Celestions in on line demo's. Do any of the members use this cab with their 18 Watters. If so, opinions??

I know that the Vintage 30 is not recommended as a match for the 18W.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Marshall 1960A Cab. Appropriate for 18W?

Post by JMPGuitars »

In the Celestion line, the Greenbacks are generally the best with these amps. Take a look at comparisons between them and the GT12. The other thing to consider, the G12T75 are 75 watt speakers, so you can expect no speaker distortion from them with this amp. That's good or bad depending on what you're looking for regarding your overdrive tone and headroom.

You can always try selling/trading the the GT12s for Greenbacks if you don't like them if the cab is in nice shape.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

So I did end up getting a Marshall 4x12 cab cheap. Nice bottom end but the G12T75 is definitely not my favorite Celestion. I actually prefer the sound of the 18W through a G12M70 that I have in an old 1X12 Marshall combo.

Anyway it should be fun refurbishing the cab.

Now what I would like to know are opinions on the new Celestions. In particular, differences between Chinese made G12M greenbacks and the UK built heritage. Same goes for the G12H30's? There is a big difference in price..so I'm keen to hear opinions regarding differences in sound.

By far my favorite Celestion with older plexi type circuit are the early 70's G12H30's, but man these command top dollar used. I would consider a Warehouse speaker if I knew it would do the trick.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

My opinion is that at least 20 companies make Celestion speakers better than Celestion. Eminence, Tone Tubby, and all the boutiques sound better to me than anything with the Celestion label on it, especially the Chinese made speakers. And they usually cost less.

I have an Eminence Private Jack (greenback) in my 18W combo, and it sounds fantastic. I love the Red Fangs too (alnico blue or gold, I forget which). The Tone Tubbys I've used were also good, though I didn't have one with the right tone curve for the 18W (it was too bright).

So the real question is, do you want the best TONE or do you want the best sounding speaker a specific brand makes?
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale