Basic Amp Build for teaching electronics

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Jockster
Unrated

Basic Amp Build for teaching electronics

Post by Jockster »

Hi, I am a Physics teacher and guitar player. I have some students (14-16) who are also guitar players and also interested in electronics/building stuff. Next year I want to undertake a project with them to get them to build a really simple amp, just to get them enthusiastic about building stuff and electronics. Can anyone suggest a really simple amp project that may be suitable. Cost will obviously be an issue. I have some very limited electronics experience so simple is better. Many thanks for any help you can give, thanks Simon
Jockster

0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Basic Amp Build for teaching electronics

Post by Daviedawg »

Hi Simon
This forum only deals with the 18 watt clone. I think you will find what you want and plenty support at Wattkins.com. See link to left side. For simple bang for your buck and easy access look for links to Octal one for example. Just one of several options.

Dd
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Jockster wrote:Hi, I am a Physics teacher and guitar player. I have some students (14-16) who are also guitar players and also interested in electronics/building stuff. Next year I want to undertake a project with them to get them to build a really simple amp, just to get them enthusiastic about building stuff and electronics. Can anyone suggest a really simple amp project that may be suitable. Cost will obviously be an issue. I have some very limited electronics experience so simple is better. Many thanks for any help you can give, thanks Simon
Jockster
Jockster,

I moved your post to the right area. You're welcome to discuss the topic here if you'd like, but Dd is correct, you'd more likely get faster support for that topic on one of our sister sites.
Daviedawg wrote:Hi Simon
This forum only deals with the 18 watt clone. I think you will find what you want and plenty support at Wattkins.com. See link to left side. For simple bang for your buck and easy access look for links to Octal one for example. Just one of several options.

Dd
Dd,

We're more open now regarding topics. This section is for non-18 watt stuff.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

My apologies if it seemed unwelcoming. It was not intended to be. Just informative.

Dd
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

You might have a look at ax84.com. That's the site that first led me here. Unlike us, who focus on one amp design, they cover a wide range of amp designs with lots of introductory and entry level stuff that it seems would be a good fit for what you're after. The people on that forum have been great with their explanations and ideas. Unfortunately, unless Chris finds someone to take it over it may go away. You should get over there and burrow through it, downloading everything that suits your class goal.
0 x

makerdp

Post by makerdp »

CurtissRobin wrote:You might have a look at ax84.com. That's the site that first led me here. Unlike us, who focus on one amp design, they cover a wide range of amp designs with lots of introductory and entry level stuff that it seems would be a good fit for what you're after. The people on that forum have been great with their explanations and ideas. Unfortunately, unless Chris finds someone to take it over it may go away. You should get over there and burrow through it, downloading everything that suits your class goal.
I agree with this whole-heartedly. The P1 or P1eX projects exist for just the purpose you describe. There is a great "P1eX Theory Document" that goes along with it. Plenty of help available there if you need it. Only thing is, you are on your own for sourcing all of the parts. If you want a kit to learn on that comes with everything you need, look at modkitsdiy.com for a couple great options.
1 x