1974 combon cab valance assembly

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

C3solar
Unrated

1974 combon cab valance assembly

Post by C3solar »

Greetings all, I purchased a raw 2X12 combo cabinet from a local who says it came from a member of this forum some years back and I am about to cover it for a chassis. The speaker baffle, it's valance parts and their assembly are a bit of a mystery to me. The valance is two pieces which together match the thickness of the raised frame above the baffle board when laid in place. I have no idea how to assemble this type of 2 piece valance board. I've attached a photo of the pieces. Can anyone explain to me how this is done?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 1974 combon cab valance assembly

Post by JMPGuitars »

Take a look at the cabinet plans in the downloads section and see if that helps:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24416

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

C3solar
Unrated

Post by C3solar »

I looked at all of those plans and none of them has the two panel valance I have. Thanks for the link though
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I assume not all the parts are visible, but is it possible one is for the rear bottom panel?
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

C3solar
Unrated

Post by C3solar »

I don't think so. In the attached photo you can see from left to right:
Two thin valance boards
Two back panels
Speaker baffle board
Two chassis ears
Cabinet in the back with metal vent
The valance boards are both 1/4" ply and the back panels are 3/8" ply
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Have you dry assembled it? Maybe they had an extra one by mistake?
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

C3solar
Unrated

Post by C3solar »

I bought three of these and they're all the same. (2) valance boards each. If you lay one of the boards on the speaker baffle above the grill cloth section it matches the height of the frame at the grill cloth section so I'm thinking the second valance board must go on the backside of the baffle board and one screws through it from inside the cabinet (back of speaker baffle) into the front valance board. You'd have to have the right length of screws to prevent coming through the front baffle though. So you tolex the front valance board and then attach it through the rear valance board and baffle board itself with screws. I think I had a Swanson cabinet done like this once. What do you think?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

C3solar wrote:
Fri 09/29/17 8:50 am
I bought three of these and they're all the same. (2) valance boards each. If you lay one of the boards on the speaker baffle above the grill cloth section it matches the height of the frame at the grill cloth section so I'm thinking the second valance board must go on the backside of the baffle board and one screws through it from inside the cabinet (back of speaker baffle) into the front valance board. You'd have to have the right length of screws to prevent coming through the front baffle though. So you tolex the front valance board and then attach it through the rear valance board and baffle board itself with screws. I think I had a Swanson cabinet done like this once. What do you think?
Is it just me, or are the dimensions slightly different? It looks like the one you put on the back is slightly taller? You need to maintain the gap in the front for the piping...
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

C3solar
Unrated

Post by C3solar »

It's just the angle of the camera I guess. They are identical in size. Because the baffle board is leaning against the cabinet at an angle the back boar is being pushed up higher than the front board in the photo. Yes I understand I need to align them to leave spacing for the piping. I just threw them together haphazardly for the photo. Thanks for your advice.
0 x