A Cabinet For My Orphaned Peavey Heritage VTX

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JCHaywire
Unrated

A Cabinet For My Orphaned Peavey Heritage VTX

Post by JCHaywire »

While biking with the kids I spotted an amp chassis laying near a couple trash cans. A scrapper had cut off the cord and it was missing all four of the 6L6GT's that stand between the freakishly heavy transformers. I grabbed it and lumbered home to the basement. A few weeks later some cheapo tubes came from Ukraine. I powered it up on a current-limited PSU and everything looks great! I added a few mismatched knobs, replaced the 250K bass pot (snapped off plastic shaft)--and the thing wails like a friggin' beast. (At least one channel; I have to build four switches where the footpedal would go. I'll go with something on the chassis or cabinet. AND I have a reverb tank out in the garage I pulled from an old Wurlitzer organ, which I shall press into service.)
Overall, I've got $34 total into it.
Rather than build it into a combo cabinet, I'd prefer to build it as a head. Could somebody point me to a PDF or whatever of plans for a cab for this thing? I have a nice walnut tabletop that would yield enough for a good cabinet. I can build, join and rout a simple head cabinet--but seeing plans would help greatly. Any ideas? I'm coming up with a lot of photos with the googles, but very little in the way of plans for a newb to this kind of thing. Thank you very much.
Jonathan in MSP
20180630_154718.jpg
20180630_154718.jpg
20180630_154659.jpg
20180630_154655.jpg
20180630_154651.jpg
20180630_154628.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: A Cabinet For My Orphaned Peavey Heritage VTX

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hi,

unfortunately that's not even close to the stuff we normally have plans and such for on this site.

That being said, pretend you're not a newb, and build one anyway, it's a box made out of wood. ;)

You can take a look in our download section at cabinet plans to get ideas, and do some google searches. Then do lots and lots of measuring. Measure the dimensions of the chassis, the distance to the screws, height with tubes and transformers + clearance, etc...

Whatever your chassis dimensions are, you add the additional thickness of the wood, plus room for tolex and tolerance (if you're going to use finished would and no tolex, I would add a tolerance of about 1/8th inch total maybe? - depends on the finish and such).

I would suggest making your measurements, then trying it out with some cheap pine and screws to see if it all fits, and then go get fancy after that.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

JCHaywire
Unrated

Post by JCHaywire »

As is often the case when I'm doing a project, I go out gathering information. Asking here and there. This time a quick trip to our local Music Go Round with a tape measure and notebook to look at some cabinets. What I learned is basically what you said: "You're building a box for a thing. That thing should fit inside of the box. What you have to do is build it." I saw all kinds of variations, but basically just simplicity--and clearly I'll be getting out my roundover bit to prettify the whole thing.
But yeah. Pretty basic stuff--not necessarily involving "plans" per se.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

JCHaywire wrote:
Mon 07/02/18 8:20 am
But yeah. Pretty basic stuff--not necessarily involving "plans" per se.
Draw your own plans. Plans are always good, it doesn't matter who makes them. You need a reference point to avoid uh-ohs. Make sure you leave a small tolerance space for the chassis to slide in, and you should be fine.

The best part about looking at other plans is for you to decide how you piece your box together. Finger joints, dovetails, etc...
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale