attenuator airbrake

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

colossal

Re: attenuator airbrake

Post by colossal »

BlueBoozer wrote:
Sun 10/11/20 8:59 pm
alrightythen. I'll just use it with my 18 and 50 watt heads. Thanks
It will handle 18-50W with no issue. If you run a 100W Marshall or a vintage AC30, definitely run the amp at 16 ohms into the Airbrake.
2 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: attenuator airbrake

Post by yello »

I have acquired a few LARGE Ohmite resistors in a parts pile purchase, and I am pondering making either an attenuator to use when playing my amps, or a load device for when I test amps. These are the resistors:

-225w 25 ohm - quantity 2

-225w 50 ohm - quantity 4

If I make an attenuator, I'd like to make a simple version, one that is hard-wired to a certain level of attenuation to keep it simple, and to not over-attenuate as that sounds bad to me. Just something to knock volume down a bit, take the edge off. I mainly play through an 8 ohm cab, so that is what I need to calculate it to work with.

However, I'm not good at the math bit - any tips on where to start calculating and then drawing it up? Which of the above resistors do I use, and do I need the rheostat, etc. from the "Break Wind schematic"? I realize these resistors are overkill, but they are on hand so short of selling/trading them, I'd like to use them.

For a reference, I am looking at the Break Wind schematic by @JMPGuitars, as well as the modified version by @crgfrench, both in previous posts in this thread.
0 x