Van Halen Tribute Amp

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Van Halen Tribute Amp

Post by TriodeLuvr »

crgfrench wrote:
Thu 12/24/20 3:55 pm
Thanks! I used 2 coats of gloss black Rust-oleum "2X ultracover paint+primer". Then 2 coats of the same, in gloss white. Next up, 2 coats of Sunrise Red Rust-oleum Gloss Protective Enamel. I think the first primer coats will be OK, as I basically hand-etched the chassis with a scotchbrite pad and acetone right before applying the first coat. Put it this way: there was no oxide layer on this chassis when the first primer layer went on. Fingers crossed...
Aluminum oxidizes immediately on contact with air. You would have to apply the paint with the abrasive pad to prevent that from happening. I hope this works out for you, but it's a lot easier and consistent if you just clean it with dishwashing soap, then spray it with an etching primer before the color coat. The Dupli-Color brand is available at auto parts stores and has never failed me.

1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Quality of chassis paint job ...similar... I'd say, to EVH's quality of Frankie paint job. Looking pretty cool.
Front.png
Rear.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Mon 12/28/20 1:02 am
Quality of chassis paint job ...similar... I'd say, to EVH's quality of Frankie paint job. Looking pretty cool.
Definitely looks cool. If you ever do something where you want cleaner edges, try green Frog Tape instead of the standard blue painter's tape.
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

jchrisf
Unrated

Post by jchrisf »

That looks awesome.. can't wait to see it and hear it completed.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Got some hardware installed
IMG-4998.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I was having trouble shimming the Floyd Rose...
...I mean, the power transformer.
Found a cool solution!
VolcanoQuarter2.jpg
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

crgfrench wrote:
Fri 01/08/21 12:56 pm
I was having trouble shimming the Floyd Rose...
...I mean, the power transformer.
Found a cool solution!VolcanoQuarter2.jpg
Now you can charge extra when selling the amp.. legit !!!😄😄😄
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

What would you have done if you only had a 100$ Bill? Folded it over and over until the right thickness was reached?😉
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Wiring the heaters today.
Here is a pre-solder gutshot, with 2 of the 3 can caps installed and the bias circuit laid out. There are 4 ground points: 1) the mains earth ground next to the IEC jack, 2) the preamp bus ground above the first preamp tube, next to where the input jack will be, and 3) the power ground star next to the bottom-mounted can cap, and 4) a bias ground point on the power tube socket bolt, next to the bias trimpot.
Volcano20210117.JPG
4 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Heater wiring came out nice & tidy
Volcano Heater Wiring.JPG
3 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 01/08/21 1:17 pm
What would you have done if you only had a 100$ Bill?
I would have taken that Benjamin to the bank, bought 10 rolls of quarters and searched through them all for a 1971 quarter. That’s what gives the special frankenmojo!
2 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Time to get soldering, now that the cabinet’s done.
3EAB46EA-9CF7-4F80-A009-26933576C03A.jpeg
4 x

jchrisf
Unrated

Post by jchrisf »

Very cool.. how'd this one turn out?
2 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I put this amp on the back burner... the PT touches the speaker frame when installed in the combo cabinet, so I was "thinking about it" and moved on to other projects in the meantime. One possible solution might have been to front mount the speaker instead of rear mounting it. It's a mojotone custom tweed deluxe cabinet with an extra 1" of depth but apparently I needed 1.5". Unfortunately this cabinet has speaker mounts that can't be reversed for front mounting, so I've kind of been waiting to get another cabinet with front mount studs, while considering other alternatives. Another option would be to use a 10" speaker instead of the 12", but that eliminates the EVH Celestion that I actually want to use. Maybe I'll just make it as a head and 1x12 cab... Sorry for the lack of updates this past year.
3 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

crgfrench wrote:
Sun 07/03/22 7:38 pm
I put this amp on the back burner... the PT touches the speaker frame when installed in the combo cabinet, so I was "thinking about it" and moved on to other projects in the meantime. One possible solution might have been to front mount the speaker instead of rear mounting it. It's a mojotone custom tweed deluxe cabinet with an extra 1" of depth but apparently I needed 1.5". Unfortunately this cabinet has speaker mounts that can't be reversed for front mounting, so I've kind of been waiting to get another cabinet with front mount studs, while considering other alternatives. Another option would be to use a 10" speaker instead of the 12", but that eliminates the EVH Celestion that I actually want to use. Maybe I'll just make it as a head and 1x12 cab... Sorry for the lack of updates this past year.
What are you working on now? I'm in the process of building an Ampeg B15 fliptop
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

crgfrench wrote:
Sun 07/03/22 7:38 pm
I put this amp on the back burner... the PT touches the speaker frame when installed in the combo cabinet
Man, that really sucks. I had an interference problem with the 36W I built too. A shield covering a row of electrolytics on the top side smacked the speaker frame when I tried to install the chassis. I was able to fab a slightly different shield on my small metal brake and solve the problem, but it was a real close call. Considering how difficult it can be to plan for things like this in advance, I'm surprised I ever get anything finished. Hope this works out OK for you.

Jack
3 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I've been building some LM-386 based amps-in-a-pedal that I call "Fat Bastard". Just about finished prototyping them -- I taught myself Eagle and designed PCBs for them which has been a lot of fun.
LM386evo.jpeg
Also starting work on a version of a Vox AC30/Matchless DC30 for a new customer who's in a band with an old customer I built a 36W Fullerwell 1x12 combo for. Going to get back to the EVH amp this year, hopefully!
2 x