EL34 VS Other Tubes

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

EL34 VS Other Tubes

Post by TriodeLuvr »

I'm building an amp that would probably have used 4-EL84s if I were doing it 10 years ago. However, after looking at things like tube cost and new production reliability (plus what I have on hand), I decided to use a pair of EL34 instead. The power transformer is generic, about 640VCT at 150-200mA continuous, and the OPT is from a Peavey Classic 30. Can I still call this a 36W if it uses EL34s instead of the PPP EL84 design? Has any manufacturer built an amp using two EL34s at less than 50W?

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: EL34 VS Other Tubes

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sat 01/02/21 3:33 pm
I'm building an amp that would probably have used 4-EL84s if I were doing it 10 years ago. However, after looking at things like tube cost and new production reliability (plus what I have on hand), I decided to use a pair of EL34 instead. The power transformer is generic, about 640VCT at 150-200mA continuous, and the OPT is from a Peavey Classic 30. Can I still call this a 36W if it uses EL34s instead of the PPP EL84 design? Has any manufacturer built an amp using two EL34s at less than 50W?

Jack
Me. ;)

I build 36W EL34 versions of the circuits I share on this site (and some that I don't share). The 36W EL34 version of the Superlite TMB is a great example: files/JMPGuitars_36_Watt_EL34_Superlite ... ematic.pdf

This is a demo of a version of that circuit with EL34s: https://youtu.be/PeRZXThV54s

I typically bias them between 36 to 40 watts and they sound / feel great.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: EL34 VS Other Tubes

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Excellent! EL34s ought to last practically forever at these power levels. Incidentally, I'm both TriodeLuvr and noisillator. I don't know how I ended up with two usernames on these forums. It must have happened a few years back when I visited at two different times. It doesn't bother me, I just log on and the computer remembers the correct username and password. Just thought I'd mention it so you don't think I'm trying to pull a fast one. :lol:

Jack
1 x