Blown fuse

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Kcz5o

Re: Blown fuse

Post by Kcz5o »

filter cap to ground. Should have proof read my post.
0 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Kcz5o wrote:
Wed 01/20/21 10:47 am
If the filter cap was damaged would I have some hum occurring. The amp is nice and quite.
Not necessarily. And I'll add that you're not likely to resolve this by guessing. When we design a new product at work, we use a peak-hold AC current meter to confirm that we've sized the input fuse correctly. This tells us the inrush current and the steady-state current. If your meter can do this, it's the next logical step (and/or monitoring B+ current like I suggested earlier). Going to a slightly larger fuse is also a helpful technique to distinguish between a moderate overload and what might be an intermittent short.

Jack
0 x

Kcz5o

Post by Kcz5o »

Makes sense. I will put in the 2.5 amp fuse next time it pops a fuse and see if that makes a difference. I just have a standard DMM so would not be able to make the other measurements. I agree that throwing money at it isn't the best approach but did order another can cap just in case. It was only $15.00 with shipping and is probably worth it if the other one is compromised in any way. Thanks
1 x

Kcz5o

Post by Kcz5o »

Not sure if I can ask another question that has to do with the same amp. If I need to post the new question under a new heading let me know. I noticed this. If I turn the treble volume control close to full about 85%, the volume drops to about 1/2 and it gets real farty sounding. I can turn the normal channel up all the way and it is fine but if I am plugged into the normal channel and turn the treble volume control up to 85% the normal does the same thing. The amp has a master volume that works for both channels. I took the amp out of the cabinet and checked the treble volume pot and it checks out ok. Any ideas?
0 x

Kcz5o

Post by Kcz5o »

Can disregard this. Its something to do with my input jacks. Thanks
0 x