Hoffman's 6v6 Plexi build

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Hoffman's 6v6 Plexi build

Post by crgfrench »

BlueBoozer wrote:
Sat 02/13/21 2:01 am
It’s extremely objective as to the tone you’re looking for.
Subjective. It's extremely subjective.
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

mehfuzhoss wrote:
Thu 03/11/21 9:18 pm
Hello,

I want to lower amp's b+ voltage. I have two 1n5408 diodes
Those aren't Zener diodes. Each one will drop the voltage about 0.7V in the forward direction.

As an aside, I wouldn't recommend installing Zener(s) of any significant value between the reservoir caps and the center tap of the output transformer. Unless your power supply has bleeder resistors, the filter caps will be left with a charge equal to the drop across the Zeners whenever the amp is powered off. That would create a safety hazard for anyone who opens it up.

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Fri 03/12/21 1:46 am
Those aren't Zener diodes. Each one will drop the voltage about 0.7V in the forward direction.

As an aside, I wouldn't recommend installing Zener(s) of any significant value between the reservoir caps and the center tap of the output transformer. Unless your power supply has bleeder resistors, the filter caps will be left with a charge equal to the drop across the Zeners whenever the amp is powered off. That would create a safety hazard for anyone who opens it up.

Jack
That's often true regardless of Zeners. Bleeder resistors are always a good idea there. Of course any experienced amp tech would probably drain the caps before working in an amp...
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale