Tremolo TMB Questions

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Tremolo TMB Questions

Post by foreverstrung »

From your pics I can see the film resistor is a 221k, so I've got that. (I figured it was good, but I don't want to assume if I can ask and confirm.
However, if it's not cool to have the diodes together, side by side, I'll redo them "in line"
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Read the schematic. I think you're refering to the rectifier? In that case you should attach 2 sets of diodes in series, next to each other. One set starts at one HT wire, and the other set starts at the other HT wire. They all should be orientated with the striped end pointing towards the stand-by switch. Heat shrink each string individually to avoid shorts.
If you decide to add a sag resistor, that would be placed between the end-conjunction of the diodes and the switch.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

I don't think I'm being clear.
Between the standby switch and the PT.
I believe the correct term is "in series" (I was calling them in line) is how there supposed to be installed as per the drawing
I've installed them "in parallel". (I was calling them side by side.)

To clarify, I've got one line, with (2)-uf4007 diodes, in parallel, not series
Then I've got the 2nd line the same way, (2)-uf4007, in parallel, not series.
This is not acceptable, correct? Or does it matter in this application?
Last edited by foreverstrung on Mon 11/07/22 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

foreverstrung wrote:
Mon 11/07/22 11:30 am
Yes, rectifier.
I don't think I'm being clear. I believe the correct term is "in series" (I was calling them in line) is how there supposed to be installed as per the drawing
I've installed them "in parallel". (I was calling them side by side.)

To clarify, I've got one line, with (2)-uf4007 diodes, in parallel, not series
Then I've got the 2nd line the same way, (2)-uf4007, in parallel, not series
This is not acceptable, correct? Or does it matter in this application?
Each pair is in series, that's how it's shown in the schematic and layout:
18w-solid-state-rectifier-ptp.jpg

They converge at the same point on the standby switch, but it's two halves of the PT secondary converging.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

Thx
I'll redo it correctly.
2 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

This shielded wire applications, I'm assuming that I'm only connecting the inner wire. The exterior braided wire is clipped back and then shrink wrapped to keep the ends clean and tidy. Correct? That's how it "appears" to me from the TMB manual.
Also, you guys, I don't want to hijack this thread with these questions. If it's more "politically correct", I'll start a new thread......Please advise.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

foreverstrung wrote:
Thu 11/10/22 4:26 pm
This shielded wire applications, I'm assuming that I'm only connecting the inner wire. The exterior braided wire is clipped back and then shrink wrapped to keep the ends clean and tidy. Correct? That's how it "appears" to me from the TMB manual.
Also, you guys, I don't want to hijack this thread with these questions. If it's more "politically correct", I'll start a new thread......Please advise.
That's correct for only one end of the shielded wire. The opposite end gets the outer braid connected to ground (that's what creates the shield).

Don't worry about it, that's what this thread is for. ;) ...but you are welcome to start your own thread if you want to post your progress separately.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I think it's nice that the TremTMB is getting some attention. Next week I'm starting a new TremTMB build, but in an angled chassis ... the same type of chassis I build my Rockin'Bird Reverb and 6G3 Plexi 6L6 Reverb with. I'm trying the 1-tube reverb with a 12DW7 this time...
2 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

That's correct for only one end of the shielded wire. The opposite end gets the outer braid connected to ground (that's what creates the shield).
this makes sense
0 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

Another quick question. My power jack is not the same as in the TMB manual. I suspect the power input jack in the manual has a slow blow fuse contained. I have none. But as this pic shows, I've got a hole in the chassis, (but not the plate. easy enough to drill). I'm sure this is the spot for a solo slow blow fuse. But it's not in any layout I have, nor could I find anything in this forum. I see it in the schematic and I'm getting better reading and deciphering them, but I sure would appreciate some direction on this fuse holder. I'd like to have something to compare it too if I install one using the schematic as I see it.
To clarify, it appears to be real simple, but I wanted to run it by you guys.
Which kind/type specifically. Does it matter? Suggestions on where to pick one up and best of all, a pic or something of the layout with it in.
Thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

foreverstrung wrote:
Fri 11/11/22 8:02 pm
Another quick question. My power jack is not the same as in the TMB manual. I suspect the power input jack in the manual has a slow blow fuse contained. I have none. But as this pic shows, I've got a hole in the chassis, (but not the plate. easy enough to drill). I'm sure this is the spot for a solo slow blow fuse. But it's not in any layout I have, nor could I find anything in this forum. I see it in the schematic and I'm getting better reading and deciphering them, but I sure would appreciate some direction on this fuse holder. I'd like to have something to compare it too if I install one using the schematic as I see it.
To clarify, it appears to be real simple, but I wanted to run it by you guys.
Which kind/type specifically. Does it matter? Suggestions on where to pick one up and best of all, a pic or something of the layout with it in.
Thx
I sent you a fused socket. There's a 2A slow-blow fuse in a sliding drawer, accessible from the outside of the chassis.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/562-719W-00-02

If you're not familiar with them, they're sneaky. Look closer at the front:
fused-iec-inlet.jpg
EDIT: A guy that I made one of these amps brought it in for me to check out and replace the tubes (his power tubes were dead, he played the hell out of them for a year), and he didn't know there's a fuse in that IEC socket either. I guess I should tell people. 😉

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 11/10/22 7:31 pm
foreverstrung wrote:
Thu 11/10/22 4:26 pm

Don't worry about it, that's what this thread is for. ;) ...but you are welcome to start your own thread if you want to post your progress separately.

Thanks,
Josh
Question about this shielding wire. In the layout drawings it shows none of these shielded wires outer braided wire grounded except for the input jack and that's only through a resistor. Is the braided part of the shielded wire being grounded "implied" and always just how you roll?
Can you guys help me to understand this application/installation?
0 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

Besides the shielding wire question, there's this. Which is it? 220 0r 500
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I use 300 or 330 there
I advise you to put in a 220p, but with enough clearance between the board and the cap. That way you can parallel another cap to tweak to the desired treble response. The tremolo TMB can be a bright bugger.
I also use a 25k mid pot instead of the 50k. I like it a lot more... but that's my personal preference.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

The shielding wire is only implied on the layouts, no ground connections are shown. That's up to you, and the resistor you're talking about has nothing to do with it. Look at the schematic, you'll see that 1M resistor is between hot and ground.

I'm with Bieworm, I usually use a 25K pot, and a 220pF cap there. That's for brightness. A higher value will be brigher. 220pF not as bright as 500pF, 25K pot not as bright as 50K pot. You can use the tonestack calculator app to compare if you want.

Check which cap values I sent you before soldering.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

Referring to the manual and then the "layout" drawing regarding the effects loop, The picture in the manual shows the "recieve" jack connecting to the PCB board one way and the the layout drawing showing it another way. The schematic, as I understand it, is the same as the picture in the manual, so I suspect the "Layout" drawing is incorrect, but I'd appreciate clarification if possible. If for nothing else then confirmation
Thx
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

To be honest I was confused about that too. But it appears to me Josh has the Reverb Send jack closer to the speaker jack, and the Return jack further from the speaker jack.
I do it the other way around.

Josh, could you post a pic from the backplate? Thanks
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Not reverb, effects loop. ;)
_JMP3350.jpg

Anyway, the only thing that matters is that the send/receive jacks line up to the correct words. The amp in the manual lines up correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 11/20/22 6:42 pm
Not reverb, effects loop. ;)

_JMP3350.jpg

Anyway, the only thing that matters is that the send/receive jacks line up to the correct words. The amp in the manual lines up correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
Correct! That's what I was thinking...
I was checking out the FX loop earlier this week for some other project. That was what I noticed then. And now it came up in this thread.. I had to respond :D
0 x

marygross
Unrated

Post by marygross »

Thanks for sharing
0 x