Tremolo TMB Questions

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Tremolo TMB Questions

Post by foreverstrung »

Referring to the manual and then the "layout" drawing regarding the effects loop, The picture in the manual shows the "recieve" jack connecting to the PCB board one way and the the layout drawing showing it another way. The schematic, as I understand it, is the same as the picture in the manual, so I suspect the "Layout" drawing is incorrect, but I'd appreciate clarification if possible. If for nothing else then confirmation
Thx
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

To be honest I was confused about that too. But it appears to me Josh has the Reverb Send jack closer to the speaker jack, and the Return jack further from the speaker jack.
I do it the other way around.

Josh, could you post a pic from the backplate? Thanks
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Not reverb, effects loop. ;)
_JMP3350.jpg

Anyway, the only thing that matters is that the send/receive jacks line up to the correct words. The amp in the manual lines up correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 11/20/22 6:42 pm
Not reverb, effects loop. ;)

_JMP3350.jpg

Anyway, the only thing that matters is that the send/receive jacks line up to the correct words. The amp in the manual lines up correctly.

Thanks,
Josh
Correct! That's what I was thinking...
I was checking out the FX loop earlier this week for some other project. That was what I noticed then. And now it came up in this thread.. I had to respond :D
0 x

marygross
Unrated

Post by marygross »

Thanks for sharing
0 x

Quokka42
Unrated

Post by Quokka42 »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am building an amp with this same tremolo circuit at the moment, but I can't get a 2M pot for the speed. I did see a description of how this circuit works but can't find it. I am wondering what effect using a 1M pot will have and how to compensate for it?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Quokka42 wrote:
Tue 09/12/23 5:52 am
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am building an amp with this same tremolo circuit at the moment, but I can't get a 2M pot for the speed. I did see a description of how this circuit works but can't find it. I am wondering what effect using a 1M pot will have and how to compensate for it?
Since a pot is a variable resistor, and 1M is half of 2M, you could expect the maximum level (speed) to be lower if using a lower pot, maybe about half being that it's linear.

B2M pots are readily available, probably even down undah. The only question is the best source with shipping charges considered. Alpha makes a good 2M linear pot, and you can get them from most of the popular sources including Mouser.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

0 x

Quokka42
Unrated

Post by Quokka42 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 09/12/23 9:18 am
Quokka42 wrote:
Tue 09/12/23 5:52 am
Since a pot is a variable resistor, and 1M is half of 2M, you could expect the maximum level (speed) to be lower if using a lower pot, maybe about half being that it's linear.

B2M pots are readily available, probably even down undah. The only question is the best source with shipping charges considered. Alpha makes a good 2M linear pot, and you can get them from most of the popular sources including Mouser.
Thanks for that - exactly what I was looking for. I am sure I will source a 2M pot eventually, but I'm kind of housebound with a broken foot ATM and my usual suppliers don't have them. I will build it with a 1M for now and I suspect it will be fine at the lower speeds. I would expect with the series resistor it is probably more like 60% and from memory the higher speeds are pretty ridiculous. I eventually want to modify it to take a string reverb tank anyway. The tremelo wasn't bad, but reverb sounds better on guitar IMHO.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Quokka42 wrote:
Mon 09/18/23 3:45 am
Thanks for that - exactly what I was looking for. I am sure I will source a 2M pot eventually, but I'm kind of housebound with a broken foot ATM and my usual suppliers don't have them. I will build it with a 1M for now and I suspect it will be fine at the lower speeds. I would expect with the series resistor it is probably more like 60% and from memory the higher speeds are pretty ridiculous. I eventually want to modify it to take a string reverb tank anyway. The tremelo wasn't bad, but reverb sounds better on guitar IMHO.
If you don't like the speed range, you could add a series resistor too.

However, if you prefer reverb, you should build the Tremolo TMB Reverb and have both. 😉
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale