Custom Chassis and Faceplates

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

lavrgs
The MAN

Re: Custom Chassis and Faceplates

Post by lavrgs »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 08/08/21 10:21 am
This is how I mount reverb tanks in my heads:
_JMP9088.jpg

My tank is recessed behind the tubes, so there's no direct heat source under it.

Thanks,
Josh
Is this one of your recommended tanks mounted upside down? >>8AB2A1B
About to put in an order for all the parts I forgot on the first two orders...8-)
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

lavrgs wrote:
Wed 08/11/21 12:25 pm
Is this one of your recommended tanks mounted upside down? >>8AB2A1B
About to put in an order for all the parts I forgot on the first two orders...8-)
lol, yup, that's the one I use on heads (I like the MOD branded ones). I wouldn't put anything bigger unless it were a big cabinet.

Make sure you have grommets and all the little stuff too. ;)

BTW- I should have the test faceplates Monday. I'll let you know how they look.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

The faceplates came in today, and they look great. They're 3M tape backed, and really easy to apply to the chassis. There's some mild masking tape residue that might need to be cleaned off from shipping. They look great though, check it out:
20210911_164712.jpg
20210911_164704.jpg
20210911_164651.jpg

Here's my commercial version, in the same chassis, and from the same batch of faceplates:
20210911_170047.jpg
20210911_170129.jpg

EDIT: The last two photos show the color a little better. They're all gold. Gooooooooooollld.

Thanks,
Josh

PS. I wish I remembered when I placed the order that I also needed a combo faceplate. 🙄
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

That's really nice work on those faceplates Josh! Is it affordable for one-offs, or you have to buy from the shop in quantity to be worthwhile?

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sun 09/12/21 2:41 am
That's really nice work on those faceplates Josh! Is it affordable for one-offs, or you have to buy from the shop in quantity to be worthwhile?

Jack
Yes. ;)

It's not cheap for one-offs, but still better than a lot of places I've checked out. And the quality is obviously really good. I bought multiples, so I can sell the panel sets for about $70. I've been quoted $70 to $100+ per panel from other sources, so that's pretty awesome.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

For anybody interested in building the Tremolo TMB Reverb PCB, I can sell the bundle for $250 plus shipping. That includes:

The PCB
  • FR4-TG170
  • ENIG(2U")
  • 2oz Copper Layer
  • 3.2mm Thickness
Chassis
  • 2mm Thick Aluminum
  • Welded Corners
  • PCB Mounting Holes Predrilled
  • Available with Octal or Noval Power Tube Mounting Holes (specify what you want)
  • Accommodates popular 18W and 36W transformers easily.
  • 2 Pilot Lamp Options
Faceplates
  • .5mm Thick Gold on Black with 3M Adhesive Backing
  • Pilot Lamp Hole NOT cutout - choose your own style
    (mount the faceplate first, then cutout the hole with a razor - ask if you need help.)
All are premium quality, as you can see from the photos & video demos of the stuff.
The prices separately are: $70 for faceplates, $65 for PCB, $150 for Chassis (all excluding shipping).

If you want only the faceplates and chassis, that will be $200 + shipping.

I'll also include the footswitch PCB at no extra charge for people getting the full PCB bundle, but please remind me or I'll forget, and you won't get one. ;)

Message me directly or email me to arrange purchase. I will eventually have this stuff for sale on my website, after I redesign it. Eventually. lol

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Josh, I had an idea today about panels after reading a post from someone wanting to explore DIY silkscreen. Lets say you etched the panel markings into single-sided .063 FR4 with 3 oz or 4 oz copper. Then you would send the panel(s) out for nickel plating, or plate them yourself with a kit from someone like Caswell. After that, it would be a simple matter to fill the etchings with ink, again, something that is easy to do yourself. The result would be a shiny, hard nickel finish (almost like chrome) with colored engravings. Have you ever heard of anyone using a process like this?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Wed 10/06/21 1:28 pm
Josh, I had an idea today about panels after reading a post from someone wanting to explore DIY silkscreen. Lets say you etched the panel markings into single-sided .063 FR4 with 3 oz or 4 oz copper. Then you would send the panel(s) out for nickel plating, or plate them yourself with a kit from someone like Caswell. After that, it would be a simple matter to fill the etchings with ink, again, something that is easy to do yourself. The result would be a shiny, hard nickel finish (almost like chrome) with colored engravings. Have you ever heard of anyone using a process like this?
I've not heard of anybody doing that, but it sounds like the process would be expensive anyway. Maybe fun though. ;)
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 10/06/21 2:56 pm
TriodeLuvr wrote:
Wed 10/06/21 1:28 pm
I've not heard of anybody doing that, but it sounds like the process would be expensive anyway. Maybe fun though. ;)
Once you were set up for it, like with a PCB system, I think most of the cost would be the nickel plate. I'd love to be able to make front panels that look like chrome! In fact, I would do that with the aluminum panels that I engrave, but it's extra expensive because aluminum can't be directly nickel plated. It has to be copper plated first. Maybe someday... :D

Jack
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

JMPGuitars-logo-and-panels.jpg
Well, I'm perty darn happy with how those came out. I've only had my laser running for a couple weeks now, but it's been fun learning to use the thing. Now to see if I can make this amp sound good in a small box head.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 02/20/22 11:32 pm
JMPGuitars-logo-and-panels.jpg

Well, I'm perty darn happy with how those came out. I've only had my laser running for a couple weeks now, but it's been fun learning to use the thing. Now to see if I can make this amp sound good in a small box head.

Thanks,
Josh
Great results Josh!!
What was your approach? Started from clear cast plexi and do the colour coat yourself or did you engrave biplex material?
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 02/21/22 1:06 am
Great results Josh!!
What was your approach? Started from clear cast plexi and do the colour coat yourself or did you engrave biplex material?
Thanks! It's Rowmark Lasermark material. It has a thin layer of gold over thicker black acrylic. All I had to do was engrave with the laser, and then clean off the debris. Painting and reverse engraving and all that is too much effort for me. 😉
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I can make full size custom faceplates now up to 20" wide if anybody needs something custom made. I finally got a larger laser.

If you're building with one of my custom chassis, then I don't need dimensions; otherwise I do.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

That’s the bomb Josh!🤘👍
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I just finished making these custom panels for John's chassis:
custom-faceplates.jpg
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale