Wiring Question (Answered)

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

DH166

Re: Wiring Question (Answered)

Post by DH166 »

Ok. Went back and cleaned up. Tested every connection on the turret board. Cleaned up solder joints. And... it works!!! It works really, really well! Probably in part due to my error in board layout that caused me to go back and use shielded wire for basically all of the hookups from the tube side of the board, the signal is super clean. You have to crank it way up to even hear a hum. It sounds really good. I also hand built the enclosure and speaker cab and I'm in the process of covering those in Tolex. When I finish that, I'll get a mic on it and post some sound. Thanks a million times to Josh for the continued free tech support. This was my first ever electronics build of any kind, and I couldn't have done it without your help.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Congrats!! Post some photos of the finished / updated build too. I'm sure people would love to see and hear it.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

DH166

Post by DH166 »

Here's a pic of the finished product. That's as close an angle as I'm giving, due to the seriously diy nature of the build :? . In addition to being my first amp build, it was my first cabinet or enclosure build, first upholstering in tolex, etc. You get the point. Let's just say I learned a lot of lessons for the next build. Anyhow, there she is. I built Josh's Tremolo TMB circuit, without the Paul Ruby mod (or any mods for that matter). I built a 2x12 cab to go with it that houses a G12M 25W and a G12H Anniversary 30W (essentially the Matchless mis-matched pair). I wasn't trying to build a Matchless cab. I just happened to find those two specific speakers on FB marketplace for $120 for the pair. Couldn't pass that up, as they were in great shape. I have a video, but I can't get it uploaded as an attachment due to file size. If you can tell me how to link that, I'll be glad to add it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Nice job! For a first attempt, that's pretty awesome. For the front panel tolex that's coming up, the trick is to use spray glue on the tolex, and wrap it all the way around to the back of the wood panel. The front chassis panel will be pressed up against the tolex on the back of the wood panel.

Upload your video to youtube, and share the link here.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

DH166

Post by DH166 »

Alright. Here’s the link.