My kid wants a Jerry Cantrell amp...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: My kid wants a Jerry Cantrell amp...

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 10/09/21 12:35 pm
However, I would probably also use 10K grid stopper resistors on both halves of V1.
I agree. And those 10k grid stoppers (preferably metal film or metal oxide) should be soldered directly to V1 pins 2 and 7 to minimize the chance of radio station interference getting into this very high-gain amp. Likewise, you would need to take great care with the layout and "lead dress", using shielded wire for longer signal connections, as well as "modern grounding"
- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25372 , to avoid unwelcome sounds like, hum buzz, squealing and whistling 8O
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

turtle441
Unrated

Post by turtle441 »

FWIW, if he really wants a Jerry Cantrell amp, look up headfirst amplification. He's a guy out of Australia, has put together a pcb designed for cloning multiple Friedman's, including the JJ Jr. I've got one of the boards sitting on my workbench waiting for the schedule to open enough for me to put the chassis together. It's pcb, but it's 3mm, looks pretty well done.
1 x
Turtle441

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

turtle441 wrote:
Tue 10/12/21 10:55 am
FWIW, if he really wants a Jerry Cantrell amp, look up headfirst amplification. He's a guy out of Australia, has put together a pcb designed for cloning multiple Friedman's, including the JJ Jr. I've got one of the boards sitting on my workbench waiting for the schedule to open enough for me to put the chassis together. It's pcb, but it's 3mm, looks pretty well done.
Omahgoodness. Need to look that up! Thanks!
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/