Where to get good trannys...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Hebaton

Where to get good trannys...

Post by Hebaton »

I am set on building an 18 watt.
I would likely start with the lite IIb and complete it down the road to include TMB ( or should I go there right away ? ) IN any case, can someone point me to good sources for Board, Transformers, face plates and cabinets ?

Thank You !
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Where to get good trannys...

Post by JMPGuitars »

For transformers, GDSamps.com is a good source for Heyboer, or you can order from Mercury Magnetics.

If you're totally new at amp building, the Lite 2b is a good option, and GDS's single-channel kit is that, but doesn't come with a cabinet.

If you want Tremolo and TMB, I can put together a Tremolo TMB kit, but you would need to get a cabinet made still.

If you want an all inclusive kit, Trinity and Ceriatone are both liked. Mojotone makes great cabinets, but stay far far away from their kits, or their boards/schematics.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Hebaton

Post by Hebaton »

I am new to a full build. Made a few simple mods. But I also have the otion to have someon competant look over / correct my work. Guess I would like to go TMB for tonal versatiliy. Don't really need trem.
Do let me know how much a kit would be. I was thinking of bying parts from Mouser and digikey in order to keep costs down but ifyou can offer something you know works well with quality parts that's agreat option.
ABout trannys, I have no idea what model numbers to order. I read a lot of good about heyboer
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hebaton wrote:
Fri 10/08/21 8:53 am
I am new to a full build. Made a few simple mods. But I also have the otion to have someon competant look over / correct my work. Guess I would like to go TMB for tonal versatiliy. Don't really need trem.
Do let me know how much a kit would be. I was thinking of bying parts from Mouser and digikey in order to keep costs down but ifyou can offer something you know works well with quality parts that's agreat option.
ABout trannys, I have no idea what model numbers to order. I read a lot of good about heyboer
Go ahead and get parts from Mouser. My suggestion to you would be to look at the Superlite TMB in the downloads section. That's a wonderful amp, and not terribly difficult. I like CMF series resistors, Mouser sells them.

For the transformers, just go to the gdsamps.com site and order the regular 18 Watt transformer set.

I will eventually (long term) be setting up at least a partial kit for the Superlite TMB, but you don't want to wait for me on that one.

Use the latest version at the top: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24430

And read the threads / watch the soldering videos linked in my signature.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Hebaton

Post by Hebaton »

THanks, I think I really want to go TMB tough...
IS the parts list in the downloads section correct ? Also, clues on resistor types ?

Thanks !
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hebaton wrote:
Fri 10/08/21 10:27 am
THanks, I think I really want to go TMB tough...
IS the parts list in the downloads section correct ? Also, clues on resistor types ?

Thanks !
The link to the Superlite TMB is a TMB amp, and it's an awesome amp. There is no parts list on there, look at the schematic for the parts.

CMF metal film for all the resistors, except the wirewound resistors. Use Xicon or Vishay/Dale for those. All MF resistors should be 1W, and anything in the schematic above 1W will be wirewound.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Hebaton

Post by Hebaton »

So much great info ! Will the tranny / chassis kits from GDSamps work ? Still need a boeard ...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hebaton wrote:
Fri 10/08/21 11:35 am
So much great info ! Will the tranny / chassis kits from GDSamps work ? Still need a boeard ...
You'll probably need to get at least a faceplate separately. His chassis are okay, but they're not very thick, so you will need to use metal fender washers to support the transformers if you get them.

I would consider sourcing the parts yourself vs. a kit if you're going with the Superlite TMB.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Hebaton

Post by Hebaton »

Just don't have a clue where to get the chassis and board...what about valevestorm ?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hebaton wrote:
Fri 10/08/21 1:29 pm
Just don't have a clue where to get the chassis and board...what about valevestorm ?
Some people like valvestorm, though they can be slow to respond. Trinity or Ceriatone are both good sources for chassis and faceplates, though I don't know if they have exactly the right faceplates.

I have a chassis that's awesome, but it's $150 + shipping by itself. It's solid though, and designed for 18W/36W custom builds. You can see photos in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25924 - keep in mind it's 7.75" deep, so you'll want a cabinet that can go up to 8" deep.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

FWIW... the Superlite TMB and the tremolo TMB sound very different from eachother.
I built a SL TMB recently, an while it's a very good amp, the tremolo TMB is superior.
If you don't need tremolo.. just don't use it! You might find out one day how much fun tremolos really are 😉
And all hard to get parts are available via Josh.

Join us... join us... join us 👽👽👽
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/08/21 4:44 pm
FWIW... the Superlite TMB and the tremolo TMB sound very different from eachother.
I built a SL TMB recently, an while it's a very good amp, the tremolo TMB is superior.
If you don't need tremolo.. just don't use it! You might find out one day how much fun tremolos really are 😉
And all hard to get parts are available via Josh.

Join us... join us... join us 👽👽👽
lolol the Tremolo TMB is different, but one isn't superior to the other. Your personal taste leans you that way, considering it's all subjective. I like my Xtra TMB better than both. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Hebaton

Post by Hebaton »

Just realised Trinity is Canadian, I am in Canada also. Wonder somewhat about their kits...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hebaton wrote:
Sat 10/09/21 8:32 am
Just realised Trinity is Canadian, I am in Canada also. Wonder somewhat about their kits...
Zaphod_Phil (one of our admin's, and a big influence on my amplifier design) is also in Canada, and did some of their circuit designs. You'll see on some of the docs it says "Rowley" - that's him. It sounds like Trinity would be good for you, they've got good kits, and shipping should cost you less.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 10/09/21 9:02 am
Hebaton wrote:
Sat 10/09/21 8:32 am
Just realized Trinity is Canadian, I am in Canada also. Wonder somewhat about their kits...
Zaphod_Phil (one of our admins, and a big influence on my amplifier design) is also in Canada, and did some of their circuit designs. You'll see on some of the docs it says "Rowley" - that's him. It sounds like Trinity would be good for you, they've got good kits, and shipping should cost you less.

Thanks,
Josh
Yes, I live in the Toronto suburbs ( the "Subdivisions" described by Rush), but I think I'm usually referred to just as "Zaphod" in the Trinity universe :) From having worked with Trinity Amps in the past, I can tell you their product quality is second to none, plus they also provide excellent support. :D
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Sun 10/10/21 8:54 pm
Yes, I live in the Toronto suburbs ( the "Subdivisions" described by Rush), but I think I'm usually referred to just as "Zaphod" in the Trinity universe :) From having worked with Trinity Amps in the past, I can tell you their product quality is second to none, plus they also provide excellent support. :D
The docs I've seen (which isn't many), have at least your last name on them. Same with the AX84 stuff actually.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale