Bulb Current Limiter Help Please

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

sreiter

Bulb Current Limiter Help Please

Post by sreiter »

As you may have read in the previous thread, I need to reform the caps on my original 18W. I have a variac for 110v. Thing is, my amp is 220v. I use a step up/step down tranny to power it.

So in this case, it'll be from the wall, to the variac, to the step up to the amp.

I'm concerned the caps may be leaking in a spot I cant see (I dont want to desolder them from the board. I dont want a short to blow my trannies, so I want to put a bulb limiter in the chain to catch the short should one occur.

Here the question... since the blub, socket, and switch runs on 110v, I would need to place it before the step up tranny. Will that even do any good? I would think I would want it AFTER the tranny ie plug the lamp into the limiter directly. Is that correct?

And if thats the case, where would i get electrical components and a bulb to build a 220v limiter circuit?

Thanks in advance
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: Bulb Current Limiter Help Please

Post by geoff 1965 »

Yes I agree that the best place for the bulb limiter is between the amp and step up transformer but why risk those original transformers with reformed caps? with new ones you’ve got peace of mind and longevity,not sure about reforming,yes you can bring leakage down but you can’t replace dried out electrolyte.
2 x