Ghost Notes

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

cstenger5

Ghost Notes

Post by cstenger5 »

Hey all, I've got some ghost notes happening in my mutt amp build, and I wondered if you folks could assist me with a fix. It seems to fit the profile - i.e. additional tones that are audible when playing on the G sting around the 12th fret. I've swapped PI tube, and still hear it. Just to be sure, I've used a few different cabs, removed anything between guitar and amp, etc, to isolate it to something in the circuit.

I've read some articles suggesting a snubber and some suggesting the power supply isn't filtered enough. I can certainly update the filter caps, but honestly am not fluent enough in power supply design to know what I would do and what the impact would be. Increase cap value at B+, maybe? If so, by how much? Increase all power supply cap values? No idea what impact that would have, aside from increasing the filtering...

The amp is a 10watt 5F11 power supply and power amp, except the PI has been changed to an LTP based on one of Josh's designs here. No NFB loop.

Everything else about this amp sounds outstanding - but those few spots producing the extra notes are driving me crazy.
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Ghost Notes

Post by Bieworm »

Is that a SS or tube rectifier? SS is more tolerant to oversized B+ filtering. But you can always clip on an extra cap across the 1st filtercap to try if that changes things.
Ain't no harm in trying that for a test.
You can also try clipping a 10 to 220pf cap from plate to cathode on 1st and/or the 2nd amplification stage or PI tube... a 2204 has a 47pf on the 1st
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

Thanks for the input! It's a tube rectifier.
I'm assuming that any caps I clip in parallel will still need to be electrolytic, right?
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

cstenger5 wrote:
Thu 12/23/21 1:55 pm
Thanks for the input! It's a tube rectifier.
I'm assuming that any caps I clip in parallel will still need to be electrolytic, right?
Yes Chris.. and preferably 450V too
Watch out for specific tube specs regarding max capacitance. The sum of your 1st filter cap assembly shouldn't exceed that
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

That's not necessarily true. The only thing that's for sure is the voltage has to be higher than your operating voltage.

In some cases adding a film capacitor a couple orders of magnitude smaller than the filter cap might be the correct choice, but it depends on the cause of the issue, and the specific cap you're talking about.

Here's some opinions:
https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/dealin ... occaforte/

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... st-2382035

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I can't argue with that..
But for test situations Chris shouldn’t worry too much about values and such. See if something helps or not first...
Ghost notes are terrible troubleshooting..
0 x