Nuts and Bolts

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

AussieTim

Nuts and Bolts

Post by AussieTim »

Odd question, what sort of nuts and bolts are generally used for mounting tube bases, transformers earthing tabs etc, a lot of builds use brass is there any reason for this? or is it a legacy of days gone by?
I can understand using brass for grounding of things where a good electrical connection is needed, but for mounting is it necessary? or is stainless OK
Do amps get too hot to use nylock nuts? I am thinking of shakeproof washers and nuts/bolts out of caution
I am used to building large metal machinery, so I usually use high tensile strength fasteners so I am probably in my own head over-engineering this build
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Nuts and Bolts

Post by JMPGuitars »

I typically use stainless steel screws and keps nuts. Normal solder lugs for ground and stuff.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Almost all the hardware I use is also stainless. Most fasteners receive either a star lock washer under the nut or blue Loctite, sometimes (but rarely) both. I use stainless nylocks to tighten capacitor clamps, because they make it easier to adjust the tension without worrying about the nut coming loose. They're pricey and unnecessary IMO for general use.

Jack
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Wed 01/19/22 9:52 pm
Almost all the hardware I use is also stainless. Most fasteners receive either a star lock washer under the nut or blue Loctite, sometimes (but rarely) both. I use stainless nylocks to tighten capacitor clamps, because they make it easier to adjust the tension without worrying about the nut coming loose. They're pricey and unnecessary IMO for general use.

Jack
That's why I like keps nuts, they have the star washers built in.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale