Tube retainers

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

AussieTim

Tube retainers

Post by AussieTim »

What type of tube retainers are considered the best? I have a bit of a mixed bag and want to get all the same on a project.
Are the aluminium tube style retainers any good I have read mixed views on them. I am in a pretty warm part of the world during summer and wonder if these tubes would help or hinder the valves operation.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Tube retainers

Post by Bieworm »

AussieTim wrote:
Sun 01/23/22 5:56 am
What type of tube retainers are considered the best? I have a bit of a mixed bag and want to get all the same on a project.
Are the aluminium tube style retainers any good I have read mixed views on them. I am in a pretty warm part of the world during summer and wonder if these tubes would help or hinder the valves operation.
I stopped using them. I don't notice any added value at RF blocking. Tubes don't just fall out of their sockets without them, unless you've got very bad sockets. The only experience I have with them is annoying rattling in a combo... but that's my findings, YMMV
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

That is the answer I suspected I would get. I'm thinking of the spring type ones that clip over the top of the valves, seeing the valves will be upside down in a combo
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

AussieTim wrote:
Sun 01/23/22 8:39 am
That is the answer I suspected I would get. I'm thinking of the spring type ones that clip over the top of the valves, seeing the valves will be upside down in a combo
Those are fine. Use silicon rings too, for tube rattling...
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"