18 watt Tremolo TMB POI

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

18 watt Tremolo TMB POI

Post by Bieworm »

For those interested:
I'm in the final process of building an 18 watt Tremolo TMB with a power transformer type PWAM01, supplied by Primarywindings.com
This is a UK based company. This transformer has some really nice features.
1. it's small and kinda lightweight. I'm not sure about the performance yet, but I will be testing in thouroughly in the next few weeks. I ordered 2 of them, and one is already built in an amp that's pretty much ready.
2. the HT secondary is the nicest thing about it. It has a 275-0V winding, tapped at 190V. Theoretically it should do this:
275-0V: 18 watt
190-0V: 9 watt
275-190V: 2 watt

So with this secondary It's like a rudimentary variable B+ system, with 3 fixed B+ supply voltages.

My experiment features a 6A 3-way rotary switch for the B+ switching. This switch has 4x "3 poles + common". I'm using 2 of them for the B+ swichting. I might need the other to switch the bias resistor value, but I'm not there yet.
I'm also not sure if the tremolo will get enough supply voltage for it to start oscillating.. but we'll see if it does in a few days.

This topic may be welcome in other 18W builds. It may be a nice amp to gig AND to play at home with that nice 18 watt overdrive at lower volumes. Although I've built a 1.8 watt plexi with that transformer, which turned out to be pretty loud too...

I have no commercial interest in PrimaryWindings.com, but I'd like to share this with people looking for this kind of thing...
IMG-20220121-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20220121-WA0001.jpeg
20220121_181143.jpg
20220121_181137.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: 18 watt Tremolo TMB POI

Post by geoff 1965 »

I had one of those initially in my 18W same as ampmaker used to supply,good transformer with no vibration or heat issues,I only used the 275 & 190 taps and the 190 tap gave earlier breakup with no loss of tone and did’nt try the 2W option so you’ll have to give us a report on that. swapped mine out for a centre tapped 275-0-275 so I could use an EZ81.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Tue 01/25/22 6:49 am
I had one of those initially in my 18W same as ampmaker used to supply,good transformer with no vibration or heat issues,I only used the 275 & 190 taps and the 190 tap gave earlier breakup with no loss of tone and did’nt try the 2W option so you’ll have to give us a report on that. swapped mine out for a centre tapped 275-0-275 so I could use an EZ81.
Will do that for sure! Thanks for the feedback Geoff!
Were you able to use the same bias settings for both B+ voltages?
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Yeah typical lite2 180R/100uf values on the cathodes Bieworm,both 18 and 9W taps sounded just as good,only difference was earlier breakup.that’s the lite2 circuit though without tremolo.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Tue 01/25/22 10:03 am
Yeah typical lite2 180R/100uf values on the cathodes
a 1000uF or 2200uF cap is preferable here, especially when running colder-biased, with a 180R cathode resistor.
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Noted the cap values on the newer circuits ZP,I was referring more to the voltage drop between 9W & 18W on the biasing,there was no audible difference with the tone of the amp. I think Bieworms concern will be the tremolo circuit especially if he drops to 2W voltages,don’t you have to have certain voltage parameters for the tremolo?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Tue 01/25/22 5:40 pm
Noted the cap values on the newer circuits ZP,I was referring more to the voltage drop between 9W & 18W on the biasing,there was no audible difference with the tone of the amp. I think Bieworms concern will be the tremolo circuit especially if he drops to 2W voltages,don’t you have to have certain voltage parameters for the tremolo?
Maybe tonight we'll know the answer to that😉😉😉... been wondering about it for a loooooong time
1 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

geoff 1965 wrote:
I had one of those initially in my 18W same as ampmaker used to supply,good transformer with no vibration or heat issues,I only used the 275 & 190 taps and the 190 tap gave earlier breakup with no loss of tone and did’nt try the 2W option so you’ll have to give us a report on that.
My 18 watt has used that same Ampmaker PT since I built it more than 11 years ago. It has an average of at least 5 hours a week on it since then. So pretty reliable. I also only tried the 190 tap before I fitted VVR.

Dd
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Daviedawg wrote:
Wed 01/26/22 3:44 am
geoff 1965 wrote:
I had one of those initially in my 18W same as ampmaker used to supply,good transformer with no vibration or heat issues,I only used the 275 & 190 taps and the 190 tap gave earlier breakup with no loss of tone and did’nt try the 2W option so you’ll have to give us a report on that.

My 18 watt has used that same Ampmaker PT since I built it more than 11 years ago. It has an average of at least 5 hours a week on it since then. So pretty reliable. I also only tried the 190 tap before I fitted VVR.

Dd
Thanks Dd! If you guys say it's ok, it will be ok. That's a relief thus far..
Another relief is that I tested the B+ switching yesterday and I got unloaded:
292V-204V-91V. So far so good!
I have yet to install the cap can, PI plate wiring and output tube wiring and I can start checking for start up. (Wired in the PTx yesterday, and a temporary quick connector for the primary voltage.. see if 230V or 240V gives the best voltages)
20220125_224352.jpg
20220118_205034.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Crap! Not gonna know it tonight! There's some serious oscillation going on. Looking for that first...
To be continued

2 things:
It's definitely tremolo related. When I disconnect the grid from the tremolo it's gone.
I put a .1uf cap on the mid by mistake..
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

It looks like you didn't shield your V1 plate wires...
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 01/26/22 8:16 pm
It looks like you didn't shield your V1 plate wires...
Shoot!!! Might have to change that..
Probably found the culprit.. it immediately sounded like a grounding issue. Guess what? Forgot to ground my speed pot!!!!! Go figure!!! Lol 😀😀😀

By the way.. I made a stupid error with the switching for tremolo activation. I added a speed pot with on off switch on the dial. When switched it will ground the tremolo grid, but then it will stop wiggling!!! it should be the other way around, so that's impossible with an on off switch with 2 poles. I will be adding a jack input with a parallel toggle switch to activate the tremolo.

Ok, besides fixing that... Isn't it good practice to add a resistor parallel with the gain pot, so in case the wiper fails there's still a grid leak? 10x pot value is ok to leave the pot value uncompromised?
switching tremolo.png
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Ok the amp is up and running, voltages set too.. sounds fantastic!!!
18W super
9W super
2W.. well, pretty ok for quiet stuff at home.

But: here comes!!! No trem on the 2W setting.. as expected. 18 and 9 trem's superb tho...
20220127_212217.jpg
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Yes that was expected really with the 2W voltages,Dd mentioned he lost tremolo on the low voltage side of his VVR.
How is the earlier breakup on the 9W setting?
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Thu 01/27/22 3:40 pm
Yes that was expected really with the 2W voltages,Dd mentioned he lost tremolo on the low voltage side of his VVR.
How is the earlier breakup on the 9W setting?
Nice and thick! Pretty obvious volume drop, but still giggable
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Here's a link to the 1st quick recording of this new build. This is just a test with the 9W setting to check the gain knob range.
Me thinks it's an awesome amp!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/69afkee88d30b ... p.m4a?dl=0
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Sounds good, but I couldn't listen to all of it with the guitar out of tune. ;) Is that the Les Trem's fault?
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 01/31/22 10:38 pm
Sounds good, but I couldn't listen to all of it with the guitar out of tune. ;) Is that the Les Trem's fault?
Old strings...
I worked out a switching schematic tohave a variable HT voltage for the power tubes + PI and constant voltage for the preamp.
So.. 2 FWB rectifiers and 2x 32+32uf can cap. Is this safe?
power switching.png
0 x

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

I'm no expert, and this may not be an issue, but your DP3T wiring changes the phase of the HT pair throughout the series. It's simple enough to wire them in a linear arrangement to enable a low-middle-high voltage design that retains the phase as below:

I'm interested in the brain trust's opinion. Looks like a cool option, especially the maintenance of full voltage on the preamp.
0 x