Military projector amp - last edited 9/26/22 - layout help needed

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Military projector amp problem (Bell and Howell 614/AQ2A) - speaker distorting/overworked

Post by JMPGuitars »

For the 1K screen resistors, the method in your EF86 is fine, or you could add a second 1K resistor and go directly to the 2nd power tube without the jumper wire you see in your EF86 layout (both 1K resistors start at the same point, and the ends go 1 to each tube). The Tremolo TMB and Superlite TMB docs show this idea, however they're on the turret board in those drawings.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Military projector amp problem (Bell and Howell 614/AQ2A) - speaker distorting/overworked

Post by Bieworm »

Ok, here's a theory..
Since your plates voltages are lower than your screen voltages, even though you have 2x 350R dropping resistors between plate and screen nodes, which seems unlogic... maybe due to the very hot bias on the output tubes they are pulling high idle current, causing a big voltage drop across the primary winding of the OT.
To check if that is happening you could compare the voltages at C216 A (mark Y) with the voltages at the plates (mark X). X should be a few volts lower than Y due to the resistance in the OT primary winding
Though I strongly advise you to put in at least some 1k 3W screen resistors (for safety reasons)... this might not be the culprit. I would clip in at least a 50R 5W resistor in series with the 220R Ohmite to drop that cathode voltage. Maybe do that first and see what it does to the balance between the screens and plates.
For the lifespan of your tubes and in case of failure the damaging of the transformers it's important the screen voltage sits lower than the plates. This is common sense.
And... the 50R resistor is merely a guess, so prepare for tweaking that value.
At this moment your tubes idle at 108%. That should drop to somewhere around 75-85%
Suppose that when you add the 50R resistor and you've got 270R cathode resistance. Just thinking out loud.. the plate voltage rises to 330V, the cathode voltage drops to 17V .. so in theory the tubes would idle at 77.5%, which is fine. I don't know if those voltages would alter that dramatically, that's hard to predict.. but you get the idea.
The bias calculations can be done at : https://robrobinette.com/Tube_Bias_Calculator.htm
Dayn screen and plate voltages.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I would first probably consider using a voltage dropping Zener diode to reduce your B+ before doing anything besides adding the 1K screen resistor(s).
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 04/22/22 1:21 am
To check if that is happening you could compare the voltages at C216 A (mark Y) with the voltages at the plates (mark X).
I will check that out! I already unsoldered the screen wires, so I will likely add the screen resistors first, then measure. Unless I need to measure before installing them
JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 04/21/22 8:41 pm
For the 1K screen resistors, the method in your EF86 is fine, or you could add a second 1K resistor and go directly to the 2nd power tube without the jumper wire you see in your EF86 layout (both 1K resistors start at the same point, and the ends go 1 to each tube). The Tremolo TMB and Superlite TMB docs show this idea, however they're on the turret board in those drawings.
I'll take a look and implement whichever seems to fit best in the tight space.
JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 04/22/22 8:19 am
I would first probably consider using a voltage dropping Zener diode to reduce your B+ before doing anything besides adding the 1K screen resistor(s).
I've read your posting about lowering the B+ here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25724

How much voltage should I drop? (Which zener diode size to buy, 5w)? Looks like all the places I checked they are out of stock and backordered unfortunately.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

yello wrote:
Fri 04/22/22 10:40 am
How much voltage should I drop? (Which zener diode size to buy, 5w)? Looks like all the places I checked they are out of stock and backordered unfortunately.
Try one of these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/on ... EMbw%3D%3D

Get more than one. 😉

I typically drop about 30V to compensate for the wall voltage (and SS rectification), probably a good starting point...especially since it's the only one available.
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

I am struggling to find the best way to implement the screen resistor/s. I like the idea of putting individual resistors for each screen coming from C216C. I'm unsure about how R240 (360r 5w) relates to the screens and want to get it right.

The following drawing shows the stock wiring, and two options, first with one 1k 5w screen resistor, the second with individual 1k 5w screen resistors. Does either work? Is option 2 problematic in regards to R240 creating a little wiring loop? I'm still learning, so a "why" along with direction is always appreciated!

Related question - I've been reading a lot about screen resistors and see that 1k is very common with el84 amps, and that 470r is common with 6V6 amps. 6aq5's are like small bottle 6V6's so wondering if 470r is appropriate? I'm totally open-minded to learn which is better and why.

This is one thing I read, from Rob Robinette:

Since screen current affects the tube's operating point along the transfer curve and changes the shape and slope of the tube's transfer curve it has more effect on power tube overdrive tone than grid current. When tuning an amp's overdrive tone close attention should be paid to the screen grid resistor and screen-to-cathode cap values. Taking the time to experiment with different component values can pay great dividends and help differentiate the voice of your amp from the rest of the pack.

Personally I like as much screen voltage fluctuation as safely possible because it changes the shape and slope of the transfer curve which generates tons of harmonic and intermodulation distortion so I use the smallest ohm value resistors that can safely limit overdrive screen current. My suggested screen stopper resistor values are (one screen stopper per tube) :

6V6: 470 ohm (3 watt or higher)
6L6, 5881: 470 ohm 5 watt
EL84 (true pentode) 1k 3 watt
EL34 (true pentode) 1k 5 watt

These values have stood the test of time for tone and reliability.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

If you look at other 18W schematics , such as Ceriatone, then you'll notice they use a single 100R resistor from the filter cap to split into 2 wires to the screens after the resistor.
That's fine too I guess.
I put 1k on my 6L6 amps too, so I can put in EL34 when I feel like it. I don't think there's a lot of difference between 470R and 1k for the screens. Sole say it muddies up the tone when you put 1K on a 6V6 of 6L6... but I challenge those people in a blind test.
0 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 6:54 am
If you look at other 18W schematics , such as Ceriatone, then you'll notice they use a single 100R resistor from the filter cap to split into 2 wires to the screens after the resistor.
That's fine too I guess.
I put 1k on my 6L6 amps too, so I can put in EL34 when I feel like it. I don't think there's a lot of difference between 470R and 1k for the screens. Sole say it muddies up the tone when you put 1K on a 6V6 of 6L6... but I challenge those people in a blind test.
Thanks for the insight on 470r versus 1k.

In example #2 in my photo, is it problematic to add the individual screen resistors while leaving the original wire that connected the screens both to r240 on one side of the 6aq5s and C216C on the other side of the 6aq5s in place? Does that create a loop that starts affecting resistances?

Maybe this is the simplest and most effective way to add screen resistance?

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

yello wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 10:56 am
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 6:54 am
That's fine too I guess.
Thanks for the insight on 470r versus 1k.

In example #2 in my photo, is it problematic to add the individual screen resistors while leaving the original wire that connected the screens both to r240 on one side of the 6aq5s and C216C on the other side of the 6aq5s in place? Does that create a loop that starts affecting resistances?

Maybe this is the simplest and most effective way to add screen resistance?

You drew it wrong. R240 should be connected to C216 C , at the same connection the screen resistor is going to be added. Also, I would do the 100R instead of 1k when you add a single resistor to both screens, just like the Ceriatone 18W TMB.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 1:11 pm
I would do the 100R instead of 1k when you add a single resistor to both screens, just like the Ceriatone 18W TMB.
No. Do 1K. You can do 1K split by two 100 ohms to each tube if you want, but the simple version with 1K is fine.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
You drew it wrong. R240 should be connected to C216 C , at the same connection the screen resistor is going to be added. Also, I would do the 100R instead of 1k when you add a single resistor to both screens, just like the Ceriatone 18W TMB.
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 2:28 pm
No. Do 1K. You can do 1K split by two 100 ohms to each tube if you want, but the simple version with 1K is fine.
So should it be like option number 1, in the middle of this picture? That way adding the 1k screen resistor is just a slight modification from the stock wiring which is pictured above it, and goes to the same point as R240. Or I could have R240 and the 1k both arrive at the right hand tube instead.

0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

yello wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 3:09 pm
Bieworm wrote:
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 2:28 pm
So should it be like option number 1, in the middle of this picture? That way adding the 1k screen resistor is just a slight modification from the stock wiring which is pictured above it, and goes to the same point as R240. Or I could have R240 and the 1k both arrive at the right hand tube instead.

You still have R240 at the wrong connection. The screens should not be in series with that resistor.
Screenshot_20220423-222037_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

screens.jpg
I dunno what the actual amp looks like now, but any one of those options are fine. The designations are based on the schematic, and what you wrote.
schem.jpg
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 3:25 pm
You still have R240 at the wrong connection. The screens should not be in series with that resistor. Screenshot_20220423-222037_Chrome.jpg
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 04/23/22 4:42 pm
I dunno what the actual amp looks like now, but any one of those options are fine. The designations are based on the schematic, and what you wrote.
I'm happy to fix it according to your advice, I want this amp working properly.

The struggle I am having is how they were all wired from the factory (these are from various years of the mid 1960's). I have 4 of the amps currently, and all 4 of them have R240 going to the screen of V203. All 4 have a wire connecting v203 to v204. 3 of the 4 have C216C going to the screen of V203, same place where R240 is landing, while 1 of the 4 has C216C going to the screen of V204 instead.

Here is a diagram of what I see in all 4 amps, with R228 added so you can see how C216A and C216B are incorporated. The only variation is noted above, namely where C216C lands (noted in my diagram as either "X" or "Y".

Is this a wiring mistake the factory made over several years? Or did it serve some intentional purpose?

I've measured voltages in 2 of the 4 amps and the screen voltage in both was about 330 while plate voltage was about 320 - is this wiring mistake the culprit? If so, I assume it would be corrected by wiring per Josh's diagram, which is easy to implement.

This is how all 4 are wired from the factory:

And here are pics of three of them, its the orange wires that connect C216C, V203, V204, and R240:

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

R240 being soldered to V203 or C216 C is electronically the same in your diagram. The only question is what is the dashed Y line you drew?

Some amps are made with the screens slightly higher than the plates. This is not ideal for guitar amps.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 04/24/22 2:16 pm
R240 being soldered to V203 or C216 C is electronically the same in your diagram. The only question is what is the dashed Y line you drew?

Some amps are made with the screens slightly higher than the plates. This is not ideal for guitar amps.
I tried to explain that above. In three of my amps C216C is connected to V203, represented by the line "X". Alternatively, in one of the amps C216C is connected to v204 represented by the dotted line "Y", which would be in place of "X" in that amp.

Thanks for the note on "electronically the same", that goes to the root of my question and what I am trying to learn here and in general. I will re-wire according to your diagram.

That makes more sense to learn some amps, like these film projector amps, would be designed like this with screens higher than plates, and to learn how to fix it for guitar.

My 5w 30v zener diodes should arrive mid-week. Where in the diagram do I insert it?

Trying to follow your diagram about dropping B+ on an 18w, it looks like the end with voltage stripes connected directly to C216A, the other end going to R228?

Then do I leave the current OT wiring in place? The OT currently goes to the first 6x4, then one wire goes to C216A, and another wire connects to the other 6x4? I imagine I just shift the connection at C216A over to be at the other end of the diode.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

yello wrote:
Mon 04/25/22 9:51 am
Then do I leave the current OT wiring in place? The OT currently goes to the first 6x4, then one wire goes to C216A, and another wire connects to the other 6x4? I imagine I just shift the connection at C216A over to be at the other end of the diode.
Ignoring your schematic, and speaking broadly, the Zener typically goes after the first filter cap. Which in our 18W amps is where the OT secondary's CT normally went. But instead we're putting a Zener diode between filter cap one (usually marked A), and the other end of the Zener goes to the OT secondary CT. As it says in the thread, the Zener stripe always points to the source voltage, A, and the non-stripe side goes to the OT secondary CT. I do this by adding a terminal strip, exactly like my diagram. I'm not moving the red CT wire to node B, it floats between A and B (the two halves of my filter cap can).
findingzener.jpg
Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 04/25/22 1:29 pm
Ignoring your schematic, and speaking broadly, the Zener typically goes after the first filter cap. Which in our 18W amps is where the OT secondary's CT normally went. But instead we're putting a Zener diode between filter cap one (usually marked A), and the other end of the Zener goes to the OT secondary CT. As it says in the thread, the Zener stripe always points to the source voltage, A, and the non-stripe side goes to the OT secondary CT. I do this by adding a terminal strip, exactly like my diagram. I'm not moving the red CT wire to node B, it floats between A and B (the two halves of my filter cap can).

findingzener.jpg
Zener arrived in the mail - The following is how I plan to implement the 1K screens resistor, and the zener, if I am understanding things correctly. I added my OT, and rectifier tubes to the diagram, and put them after the zener.

Here is the original erroneous version I posted:

Here is the corrected version after the insight given below:

Last edited by yello on Fri 04/29/22 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Incorrect. The wire from the rectifier should land on the 1st filter cap A. From there the zener takes off to the dropping resistor, where the OT primary lands. Watch out with the striped side being correct. It should point at the filter cap point A.
0 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 04/29/22 10:34 am
Incorrect. The wire from the rectifier should land on the 1st filter cap A. From there the zener takes off to the dropping resistor, where the OT primary lands. Watch out with the striped side being correct. It should point at the filter cap point A.
Thanks for the correction, that's why I posted my plan!

I see my error now. Josh mentions in his B+ lowering instructions to place the OT after the diodes and I assumed when looking at the diagram that meant put everything after, but I see now in the full schematic that the rectifier stays right at Filter A, my mistake.

Here is the corrected version:

2 x