Military projector amp - last edited 9/26/22 - layout help needed

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Military projector amp problem (Bell and Howell 614/AQ2A) - speaker distorting/overworked

Post by yello »

Thank you both for the thoughtful response about voltage and exact parts to mod, I appreciate it! Time to put together my next order list.

The place where I typically order parts (Amplified Parts) from doesn't carry 1000uf or 2200uf caps - where do you find them? Mouser, or ??? I need to expand my parts ordering options.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Military projector amp problem (Bell and Howell 614/AQ2A) - speaker distorting/overworked

Post by zaphod_phil »

Mouser should have them.

Also, FYI, Randall Aiken has some great technical information on his web site:

https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/des ... amplifiers covers most of what we've been discussing in this thread.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

ZP's right about the very low voltage cathode bypass cap values on the preamp tubes. Those voltages circle around a few volts.
I wrote 25V because of the physical size of those lower value caps. In aestetics it's all about balance πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Bieworm wrote: ↑
Fri 02/11/22 3:40 am
ZP's right about the very low voltage cathode bypass cap values on the preamp tubes. Those voltages circle around a few volts.
A few volts? I would say around just one volt. I get what you mean about the aesthetics, but I wonder if higher voltage-rated electrolytics might not have poorer high frequency performance
2 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Looks like the 100uf cap, that is suggested to change to 1000 or 2200, is labeled as a 25v cap. I'll keep the other caps within a lower range with frequency response in mind.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

yello wrote: ↑
Sat 02/12/22 11:22 am
Looks like the 100uf cap, that is suggested to change to 1000 or 2200, is labeled as a 25v cap. I'll keep the other caps within a lower range with frequency response in mind.
That's correct, the power tube cathode cap is higher voltage, but still not super high. If it had 25V, you can go between 25 to 50V depending on what's available with little concern for size. The 2200uF caps I use in my EL84 powered amps are rate 40V, and the average voltage there is about 12VDC.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

@yello,

As I was studying the Bell & Howell amplifier schematic, it occurred to me that you have most of the parts there for a 10W version of a F***er Tweed Deluxe, either the 5D3 or 5E3 variant. So for a little extra challenge and some awesome sounds, I recommend converting one of your B&H amps to a Tweed Deluxe. I tend to think of the 5E3 as Leo's fire-breathing equivalent of Marshall's 18W - https://ampwares.com/schematics/deluxe_5e3.pdf

While the 5E3 is the most popular of the two, personally, I think the 5D3, with its paraphase PI, has the sweeter tone http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetube ... ematic.pdf
For support, our companion site ppwatt.com has a 5E3 mods forum - http://www.ppwatt.com/5e3-mods

Also lots of good information on https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm
3 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote: ↑
Sat 02/12/22 1:44 pm
@yello,

As I was studying the Bell & Howell amplifier schematic, it occurred to me that you have most of the parts there for a 10W version of a F***er Tweed Deluxe, either the 5D3 or 5E3 variant. So for a little extra challenge and some awesome sounds, I recommend converting one of your B&H amps to a Tweed Deluxe. I tend to think of the 5E3 as Leo's fire-breathing equivalent of Marshall's 18W - https://ampwares.com/schematics/deluxe_5e3.pdf

While the 5E3 is the most popular of the two, personally, I think the 5D3, with its paraphase PI, has the sweeter tone http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetube ... ematic.pdf
For support, our companion site ppwatt.com has a 5E3 mods forum - http://www.ppwatt.com/5e3-mods

Also lots of good information on https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm
I thought the 6G3 was the fire-breathing monster Leo created!?πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

No, the 6G3 Brown Deluxe is a very tamed-down version, thanks to its negative feedback. :( It's a much later product than the 5D3/5E3 Tweed Deluxes and Leo's amp designs got cleaner and cleaner in each successive generation. :x

Further discussion on this topic will probably best be continued on our companion site, www.ppwatt.com
1 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote: ↑
Sat 02/12/22 12:25 pm
That's correct, the power tube cathode cap is higher voltage, but still not super high. If it had 25V, you can go between 25 to 50V depending on what's available with little concern for size. The 2200uF caps I use in my EL84 powered amps are rated 40V, and the average voltage there is about 12VDC.

Thanks,
Josh
Just keep in mind that in cathode-biased amplifiers, the cathode voltage will swing upward on signal envelope peaks. So I tend to use higher voltage rated caps on the power tube cathodes.
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote: ↑
Mon 02/14/22 2:29 pm
JMPGuitars wrote: ↑
Sat 02/12/22 12:25 pm
That's correct, the power tube cathode cap is higher voltage, but still not super high. If it had 25V, you can go between 25 to 50V depending on what's available with little concern for size. The 2200uF caps I use in my EL84 powered amps are rated 40V, and the average voltage there is about 12VDC.

Thanks,
Josh
Just keep in mind that in cathode-biased amplifiers, the cathode voltage will swing upward on signal envelope peaks. So I tend to use higher voltage rated caps on the power tube cathodes.
I use the 63V big barrels mostly
1 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

https://youtube.com/shorts/n6e3QpzRGJA?feature=share

Same amp type, different amp, different problem.

There is a static on the notes. It is different than the overworked clubby speaker issue of the other one. Any idea what might typically cause this?

I have eliminated the speaker, tubes, guitar, or cable as the cause, it’s somewhere in the circuit.

I have replaced the power filter caps, but not yet the 100v 25uf Mallory cap. I also replaced a coupling cap that was very microphonic. The static issue did not change before or after that cap.

Any ideas?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Mon 02/21/22 11:09 pm
https://youtube.com/shorts/n6e3QpzRGJA?feature=share

Same amp type, different amp, different problem.

There is a static on the notes. It is different than the overworked clubby speaker issue of the other one. Any idea what might typically cause this?

I have eliminated the speaker, tubes, guitar, or cable as the cause, it’s somewhere in the circuit.

I have replaced the power filter caps, but not yet the 100v 25uf Mallory cap. I also replaced a coupling cap that was very microphonic. The static issue did not change before or after that cap.

Any ideas?
If that is signal related you'll be better off with a scope . Starting at the input.
0 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Unfortunately I don't have a scope.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Tue 02/22/22 12:00 pm
Unfortunately I don't have a scope.
That makes it harder. The only option is to start replacing parts one by one.. or buya scope. A Siglent isn't expensive
0 x

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Is there a certain model Siglent you recommend?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I have the 1102 CML
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Tue 02/22/22 1:03 pm
Is there a certain model Siglent you recommend?
That depends on your budget. Bieworm has the SDS1102CML+ which is $299. The SDS1104X-E is $499, and a great scope. I use the SDS2104X+ (upgraded to SDS2504X+).
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook Β· Instagram
Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

While I consider the scope purchase, and potentially wait for it to arrive, are there particular components to consider replacing first like disc capacitors (I already replaced one that was microphonic), or particular parts of the circuit to start exploring in?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Don't start replacing stuff randomly. You might create other problems along the way.
Try the non destructive way first

You could try eliminating what's good or bad when you take another same amp.
Take the power tubes out of this one.. make a long alligator clip wire and clip it between the same points in both amps. Always the grid input of a preamp triode.. starting from V1
This is what I did at some point when I couldn't find the problem in an amp. Watch out.. it's noisy too with the long antenna wireπŸ˜‰
But you should get the scope! You're not planning on stopping the amp prodding business anytime soon me guesses πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Still recommended as plan A, the scoping. That will definitely give you more insights you will benefit from in the future
0 x