My first build Jim 5watt V2.0

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Tomten

Re: Need ideas for my first build

Post by Tomten »

So it got a little more expensive with the parts for the suggested amp then just by this kit, about 70 Euro more expensive. I do believe that the kit in the link also is possible to be modded... so if I am going to build a 18 watt amp now I might just order the kit.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-ki ... t-tmb.html

Or maybe I will build one more LOW amp.. :D

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-kit-hotlukas.html
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Tomten wrote:
Fri 03/18/22 6:31 pm
So it got a little more expensive with the parts for the suggested amp then just by this kit, about 70 Euro more expensive. I do believe that the kit in the link also is possible to be modded... so if I am going to build a 18 watt amp now I might just order the kit.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-ki ... t-tmb.html

Or maybe I will build one more LOW amp.. :D

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/tt-kit-hotlukas.html
You can't go wrong with TubeTown..
Great quality and service. High speed deliveries.
But they are nearly out of tubes. I placed a large order of tubes at Jukebox Revival yesterday.. the prices are going through the roof with the Ukraine situation.
I even didn't order 12ax7.. too expensive! I ordered NOS Voskhod 6N2P tubes instead. They have a different heater pinout.. but other than that they're a very good substitute for 12ax7 tubes. And only 7€ a piece!!! That's 1/3 or 1/4 the price of a 12ax7 nowadays
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Tomten

Post by Tomten »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Fri 03/18/22 11:00 am
OK, I took a second look at the circuit operation. I don't see indications of blocking, but I think the front end should be cooled off a little bit. You can do that by first replacing C4 in the schematic below with a 470KΩ resistor. C4 actually isn't needed, because coupling cap C3 blocks DC from the previous stage. This change will reduce front end gain by 6dB. Also, leave the 1.5K at the cathode of V2A, but remove the 10uF cap that I suggested earlier. Finally, cathode follower V1B will be more "robust" if R7 is changed to 220Ω. Do this last, it might not be necessary.

This is all part of tweaking a new circuit. My goal here was to provide a means of increasing front end gain. I think you be pleased with this once the values are dialed in.

Jack
I have some great news, hurray this last mod i did worked as i wanted to, i think it has alot more gain and now i can have the Volume (gain) at full blast with no problem at all, even if its not over distorted i like to back off the distortion just a little bit so it cleans up a little. The sound out of this amp getting even better if i hook up an EQ pedal infront of the amp. This amp now has that rock sound i was looking for, almost a little like AC/DC type of sound. If i back of the Volume quite a bit i got a perfekt clean tone. So the conclusion from this is that i want to keep it like this, well if there is a mod to make it sound like it does with the EQ but with no EQ then that would be interesting to do. Ohh yeah, i have a impedance switch on the back that i would like to use, i tried but i didnt get it to work properly i think so i just hook up the yellow from the OT that is 8 ohm and use it like that, even though i have several cabs that needs both 8 and 16 ohms..

A big tank you to Jack and all the other of you who made suggestions about modding this amp for more a warmer gain.. Now i am thinking about my next project, maybe another LOW amp..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 03/19/22 7:42 am
But they are nearly out of tubes. I placed a large order of tubes at Jukebox Revival yesterday.. the prices are going through the roof with the Ukraine situation.
I even didn't order 12ax7.. too expensive! I ordered NOS Voskhod 6N2P tubes instead. They have a different heater pinout.. but other than that they're a very good substitute for 12ax7 tubes. And only 7€ a piece!!! That's 1/3 or 1/4 the price of a 12ax7 nowadays
The 6N2P is an excellent tube. I have some saved, and I somewhat regret not using them in the last amp instead of 12AX7. I suspect the Ukraine situation is going to permanently change the status quo of tubes and tube amps.

Jack
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Tomten wrote:
Sat 03/19/22 8:19 am
I have some great news, hurray this last mod i did worked as i wanted to, i think it has alot more gain and now i can have the Volume (gain) at full blast with no problem at all, even if its not over distorted i like to back off the distortion just a little bit so it cleans up a little. The sound out of this amp getting even better if i hook up an EQ pedal infront of the amp. This amp now has that rock sound i was looking for, almost a little like AC/DC type of sound. If i back of the Volume quite a bit i got a perfekt clean tone. So the conclusion from this is that i want to keep it like this, well if there is a mod to make it sound like it does with the EQ but with no EQ then that would be interesting to do. Ohh yeah, i have a impedance switch on the back that i would like to use, i tried but i didnt get it to work properly i think so i just hook up the yellow from the OT that is 8 ohm and use it like that, even though i have several cabs that needs both 8 and 16 ohms..

A big tank you to Jack and all the other of you who made suggestions about modding this amp for more a warmer gain.. Now i am thinking about my next project, maybe another LOW amp..
Glad it worked out! Is that the setting you're using for the EQ? You're really emphasizing the lower midrange with that. It might be possible to modify the TMB controls more toward that type of response, but it would take some work with the simulator. I'll take a look at it if time permits.

Jack
0 x

Tomten

Re: My first build Jim 5watt V2.0

Post by Tomten »

Glad it worked out! Is that the setting you're using for the EQ? You're really emphasizing the lower midrange with that. It might be possible to modify the TMB controls more toward that type of response, but it would take some work with the simulator. I'll take a look at it if time permits.

Jack
Yeah.. thats the settings I like the most, or well, I tried some different settings but its around that setting in the picture, I've been thinking about that it would be possible to change the pots to different values but until I know more about what value to put in I will just let it be as it is right now.. Yeah that would be really nice of you.. hurray
0 x

Tomten

Post by Tomten »

I suspect the Ukraine situation is going to permanently change the status quo of tubes and tube amps.
I think so to, its going to change the course of how amps are made, I doubt there is going to open new factories that make vacuum tubes. I think as of now in this very moment the big names like Marshall, ENGL, Laney and so on are working on making new amps, hybrids per haps, or transistor amps with the capabilites of a tube amp, with that said, I think the future transistor amp will sound just like a tube amp, because I imagen there is not alot of guitarplayers that really digging transistor amps these days..

Tubes will absolutely be alot more expensive now, tube amps also...
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Tomten, nearly all the frequency contouring in the circuit as it now stands takes place in the TMB tone stack. That's what I wanted to confirm. At most settings, this type tone control scoops out the mids in almost the exact same area that you're boosting. Midrange attenuation is about 10dB - 15dB when the controls are centered. Nothing you can do with the settings will actually boost the mids. However, if you set the Bass and Treble to minimum and the Mid to maximum, response will be almost flat from 100Hz up. It does roll off the bass a little early, but you might want to try that setting to see if you can live with it.

Incidentally, are you familiar with Tone Stack Calculator? It's a free download on the Duncan Amp site:

https://www.duncanamps.com/software.html

The F***er simulation is a standard TMB. You can double-click on the components to change the values to yours. This software makes it easy to see what happens when you make changes.

Jack
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sat 03/19/22 12:33 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sat 03/19/22 7:42 am
The 6N2P is an excellent tube. I have some saved, and I somewhat regret not using them in the last amp instead of 12AX7. I suspect the Ukraine situation is going to permanently change the status quo of tubes and tube amps.

Jack
Ok!! Part of my stash arrived...more coming from other suppliers
Now it's 15 x voskhod 6N2P, 4x matched pair EH 6V6GT, 1x EH 5AR4
soon
16479683835088072757312775107167.jpg
16479686780644010208543325892925.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Tue 03/22/22 12:03 pm
Ok!! Part of my stash arrived...more coming from other suppliers
Now it's 15 x voskhod 6N2P, 4x matched pair EH 6V6GT, 1x EH 5AR4
soon16479683835088072757312775107167.jpg
16479686780644010208543325892925.jpg
That will keep you going for a while! Incidentally, the shield in the 6N2P (pin-9) does need to be grounded. There have been reports of odd sonic phenomena when it was left floating.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Yeah... was planning on grounding them anyway. Ain't no harm there huh?
I also think its a good idea to fuse the heater wiring in amps with these.. just in case someone fits an 12ax7 in there
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sat 03/19/22 1:47 pm

Incidentally, are you familiar with Tone Stack Calculator? It's a free download on the Duncan Amp site:

https://www.duncanamps.com/software.html
Or go to the tool directly, on http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Tomten

Post by Tomten »

Its been a while since i´ve been here, i am currently working on a pedal to go along with this Jim amp you guys helped me modify. Is it possible to change the character on this pedal a little, maybe change something in the distortion section so it sounds a little bit different ?

Any suggestions would get me started :D
0 x