Pilot lights 120v vs 6.3v

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

jimibiscuits
Unrated

Pilot lights 120v vs 6.3v

Post by jimibiscuits »

Recently joined this forum, and I've really benefited from the info shared here.

I'm gathering parts for my first 18watt build. Wondering about the relative merits of 120v vs 6.3v pilot lights. Appreciate any insights. TIA
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Pilot lights 120v vs 6.3v

Post by Bieworm »

Don't think there's any difference. I use 6.3V because they're more widely available than the wall voltage ones.
Maybe the 6.3V are safer too for the sockets. Those soldering contacts are awfully close to each other for the use of mains voltage.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

The key difference, is that one is 120V and the other is 6.3V. 😉

The 120V pilot can be connected to a DPDT switch that covers both 0 and 120V connections. The con here is that if your amp wants to go international, you might blow up the pilot lamp.

The 6.3V pilot can be connected to the heater connection on the PT, and will work anywhere in the world. The con here is that you have to account for the small amount of current the pilot lamp will take. This is not usually an issue, but it must be considered. For me, it's not an issue at all, as these days I typically build with a solid state rectifier, and connect the pilot lamp to the (unused) rectifier heater connection.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

jimibiscuits
Unrated

Post by jimibiscuits »

Good to know. Thanks for your replies. I don't have any plans to go on a world tour, so 120 it is. I can replace with a 6.3 in the future if needed. Cheers!
1 x