First build, Ceriatone 18w TMB EF86, no output

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: First build, Ceriatone 18w TMB EF86, no output

Post by Bieworm »

What I find really useful is that when you are wiring an amp, you call the connections by their names. On a 12AX7 I don't see pin 2 and 7, but the grid. or pin 1 and 6, but the plates/anodes.. that makes me know what I'm doing. Etc for coupling caps, filter caps, tone caps...
I also don't wire anything to the pots or tube sockets that come from the board until I actually mount the board. Once the board is put in I start wiring the circuit systematically in the actual sequence of the schematic.
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Unit_1

Re: First build, Ceriatone 18w TMB EF86, no output

Post by Unit_1 »

What I find really useful is that when you are wiring an amp, you call the connections by their names.
As a programmer analyst and manufacturing expert, one of my consultant jobs was working for Advanced Bionics for a number of years. The engineers were not good when it came to assembling microscopic cochlear implants (which are literally assembled under stereo microscopes), but of course knew the audio design inside and out.

The assembly people had very little if any knowledge of the function of the circuits, but knew exactly what went where. Of course they were all dressed in bunny suits... :lol:

My point is that knowledge of the circuit has no effect on your assembly abilities and people that have no idea what they are building, can be successful at putting together half million dollar audio circuits.

I call it by pin number because I want to count the pins before I attach the wire because all the engineering was done long ago on my computer and I just need to keep my mind on the shape of what I'm doing! 8)
0 x
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.