2005 1974x Power Transformer woes...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

77Custom
Unrated

2005 1974x Power Transformer woes...

Post by 77Custom »

Hello folks!

Good news and disappointed news.

Long story short, shorted power transformer. Searched the web for a replacement, bought one from Amp Parts Direct. It sat on my bench before I had time to replace it. (3weeks) APD, is considerably smaller than the original. Sent pictures to APD, no reply. Waited a week and resent message. Still no reply. Well, bad on me, their site only has a 14 day return policy with stipulations.

GOOD NEWS!!!!
Saw a post here this week. Last year a guy messaged Marshall and they replaced his free of charge. I took a chance and emailed Marshall. They are sending me a new transformer free of charge. That was awesome!! The amp is 17 years old and they are still helping out their customers.

Anyhow, thanks for your wealth of info on this site!!

Ed
5 x

77Custom
Unrated

Re: 2005 1974x Power Transformer woes...

Post by 77Custom »

I got my transformer from Marshall today. The packaging looked a little rough. I think the box may have broke open during shipping at some point. Inside the box, the bell cover was loose and bent, one little piece of the lamination came off the mounting side, a couple of the soldering eyelets were bent. I sent pictures to Marshall, maybe they will send a replacement or maybe they will tell me I should install it??

Anyhow, that's where this entry sits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Unit_1

Post by Unit_1 »

I recently received a rather bent to crap PT from CE Dist and sent them a picture. A new transformer arrived that week. They don't want to pay the back and forth shipping, it eats the profit... Plus they'd still have to pay for the transformer to go to refurb, and you never know how much that's going to be, or if it'll still fail.

I'd insist on a replacement if they don't offer, if you send a picture of the damage to your credit card and issue a dispute they'll grant it and take the money from the company's account.
2 x
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

77Custom
Unrated

Post by 77Custom »

Unit_1 wrote:
Tue 08/16/22 9:04 pm
I recently received a rather bent to crap PT from CE Dist and sent them a picture. A new transformer arrived that week. They don't want to pay the back and forth shipping, it eats the profit... Plus they'd still have to pay for the transformer to go to refurb, and you never know how much that's going to be, or if it'll still fail.

I'd insist on a replacement if they don't offer, if you send a picture of the damage to your credit card and issue a dispute they'll grant it and take the money from the company's account.
As it turned out, the transformer is okay. It was a warranty replacement from Marshall, it didn't cost me anything but my time to replace it. All is well now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x