Introducing myself !

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, rock_mumbles

timuhai1
Unrated

Introducing myself !

Post by timuhai1 »

Hello everyone, my name is Tim and I am new here. I graduated in 2020 with a 2 year electrical engineering technology degree, and am now and industrial electrical maintenance technician. I learned all kinds of things in school from motor control circuits to semiconductors, but not much with vacuum tubes. I was however encouraged to explore vacuum tubes by my professors, as I am a guitar player and was very interested.

I first built this tweed champ clone for a final project in a class of mine, which you can see here.

After I built this, I was just excited to build and learn even more. So the next thing I built was this single ended plexi from gapcb.

When I had ordered the single ended plexi PCB, I also ordered the superlite II pcb, which you can see here...

But I have held off on starting this one, because I was a bit intimidated. There are no "instructions" like the single ended amp, and even though I have learned so much building these two amps (as well as repairing some others for friends and such) , I still have a lot to learn. :D

So that brings me to making an account here! I have read many posts from this community over the past couple months, but decided to finally make an account, as I feel ready to finally start my superlite pcb project. Once I receive some of the parts in the mail, I will start a new topic in the 18 watt area to document my project, and hopefully learn some new things in the process.
2 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Introducing myself !

Post by Daviedawg »

Welcome Tim. What you have done so far and now propose is great. You will get help and advice here. Good luck with your project.

Dd
2 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Good job Tim and welcome to 18Watt.com.
2 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

timuhai1
Unrated

Post by timuhai1 »

Sorry for the late reply here, been pretty busy at work lately.

I have come a decent way on the build, and have plenty of pictures, so I will post an update soon.

Last thing I need to order is the output transformer, which I am most likely going to get from mojotone , unless anyone has a better recommendation?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I've been using Hammond 1750PA OT 's for every 18W build. I can't comment on other brands though, but the Hammond is pretty good imho
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

timuhai1 wrote:
Mon 12/05/22 9:59 am
Sorry for the late reply here, been pretty busy at work lately.

I have come a decent way on the build, and have plenty of pictures, so I will post an update soon.

Last thing I need to order is the output transformer, which I am most likely going to get from mojotone , unless anyone has a better recommendation?
I prefer the transformers from GDSamps.com. That site is owned by Graydon, who started this website. His version of Heyboer transformers are my favorite, especially because I prefer the solder tabs on the PT.

I think Mojo does have a version of a Heyboer set, but I would get OTs or PTs from GDS or Trinity before considering Mojo for that.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale