18w new build kit recommendations

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18w new build kit recommendations

Post by JMPGuitars »

foreverstrung wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 6:29 am
Following Josh's advice, I took a look at those modern classic layouts and they all appear simple enough for me to read and following the "layout" drawing provided....... Schematics, not so much, I'll have to work on reading and understanding the technical schematics. Anyways, one of the reasons I wanted a kit, was to ensure I got everything needed, but also care that I get quality components. And honestly, with caps and resistors, IDK good from bad. Josh and other suggested a GDS kit possibly,(other kits were suggested too. I checked them all out) and I can do that, but I prefer the option of building an amp following this Modern Classic path and if I do choose to go with it, is there a shopping list? Can I get a thorough inventory? What would you suggest I do to choose quality components? Like I said, IDK wtf I'm choosing. AND that I get everything I need. I don't want to waste my $, but I'd prefer paying for quality. Don't want to cut any corners.
Step 1: Get comfortable with the schematic. ;) It's daunting at first, but you just follow the signal from the input jack on the left, through the circuit, to the speaker jacks on the right. You'll learn a lot that way.

Step 2: Make a list of the components on the schematic. Check it twice. Use a highlighter after you've added components to your list. Then look at the layout for misc. items, hardware, etc. not included on a schematic.

For all regular resistors, I use 1W CMF Industrial resistors. Some of the values will be slightly off, but that doesn't matter. For example, I use 475K instead of 470K. Most of these circuits originally used carbon comp resistors, that were probably 10 to 20% tolerance, and drifted up over time. So a small difference in value is meaningless.

For some parts besides the CMF resistors, I have a BOM I made, which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/3RI6npI - that will take you to Mouser, which is where I get most general amp components from. Keep in mind that BOM has nothing specific for your amp, so you will need to pick and choose the parts you actually need.

I'd get your transformers directly from GDS.

You will need to make your own turret board, or I can make one for you. Email me at support at jmpguitars dot com if you want to inquire about options for a chassis and/or turret board.

For general amp components not sold by places like Mouser, there are other sources to look at. Mojotone is good (but avoid their kits at all costs), amplifiedparts, tubedepot, etc. all good. For anybody else on the other side of the pond, they can look at banzaimusic, or tube town.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 7:14 am
foreverstrung wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 6:29 am
Following Josh's advice, I took a look at those modern classic layouts and they all appear simple enough for me to read and following the "layout" drawing provided....... Schematics, not so much, I'll have to work on reading and understanding the technical schematics. Anyways, one of the reasons I wanted a kit, was to ensure I got everything needed, but also care that I get quality components. And honestly, with caps and resistors, IDK good from bad. Josh and other suggested a GDS kit possibly,(other kits were suggested too. I checked them all out) and I can do that, but I prefer the option of building an amp following this Modern Classic path and if I do choose to go with it, is there a shopping list? Can I get a thorough inventory? What would you suggest I do to choose quality components? Like I said, IDK wtf I'm choosing. AND that I get everything I need. I don't want to waste my $, but I'd prefer paying for quality. Don't want to cut any corners.
Step 1: Get comfortable with the schematic. ;) It's daunting at first, but you just follow the signal from the input jack on the left, through the circuit, to the speaker jacks on the right. You'll learn a lot that way.

Step 2: Make a list of the components on the schematic. Check it twice. Use a highlighter after you've added components to your list. Then look at the layout for misc. items, hardware, etc. not included on a schematic.

For all regular resistors, I use 1W CMF Industrial resistors. Some of the values will be slightly off, but that doesn't matter. For example, I use 475K instead of 470K. Most of these circuits originally used carbon comp resistors, that were probably 10 to 20% tolerance, and drifted up over time. So a small difference in value is meaningless.

For some parts besides the CMF resistors, I have a BOM I made, which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/3RI6npI - that will take you to Mouser, which is where I get most general amp components from. Keep in mind that BOM has nothing specific for your amp, so you will need to pick and choose the parts you actually need.

I'd get your transformers directly from GDS.

You will need to make your own turret board, or I can make one for you. Email me at support at jmpguitars dot com if you want to inquire about options for a chassis and/or turret board.

For general amp components not sold by places like Mouser, there are other sources to look at. Mojotone is good (but avoid their kits at all costs), amplifiedparts, tubedepot, etc. all good. For anybody else on the other side of the pond, they can look at banzaimusic, or tube town.

Thanks,
Josh
Correction.. banzaimusic only when necessary.. waayy too expensive. Tubetown.de, jukeboxrevival.eu or sometimes retroparts.fr.
Jukeboxrevival is te least expensive, but they don't supply everything you need. I buy my transformers, tubes, resistors and caps there
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 10:47 am
Correction.. banzaimusic only when necessary.. waayy too expensive. Tubetown.de, jukeboxrevival.eu or sometimes retroparts.fr.
Jukeboxrevival is te least expensive, but they don't supply everything you need. I buy my transformers, tubes, resistors and caps there
That's funny. I needed some slightly rare tube sockets, and Banzai had both the best price, and cheapest shipping to the US. It took them 4 business days before shipping them though, I wasn't impressed with that.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 12:51 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 10:47 am
That's funny. I needed some slightly rare tube sockets, and Banzai had both the best price, and cheapest shipping to the US. It took them 4 business days before shipping them though, I wasn't impressed with that.
That's what I meant with absolute necessary. I recently ordered a weber Bass 15.. 11 weeks!!! And I ordered the Ampeg tolex.. they were the only one selling that over here... first order came in a box the size of a shoe box.. i was like: NOOOOOOO!!!! I sent it back with the remark "what the h€ll were you huys thinking???".. they shipped me new tolex though..bent in "half" this time around.. i could live with that
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Sorry dude.. I accidenally deleted your post about only being able to read layouts.

Here's my reply:

You'll learn in time relying on layouts is the wrong approach. Instead of learning and comprehending the logic of a circuit, you only limit yourself to seeing "what goes to what". And that makes it hard to troubleshoot problems you will most likely run into. You should think in terms of, for instance, this plate connects to that coupling cap.. not this wire goes from this point to that point...
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 1:40 pm
You'll learn in time relying on layouts is the wrong approach. Instead of learning and comprehending the logic of a circuit, you only limit yourself to seeing "what goes to what". And that makes it hard to troubleshoot problems you will most likely run into. You should think in terms of, for instance, this plate connects to that coupling cap.. not this wire goes from this point to that point...
I put a Tremolo TMB kit together for him, you'll have the opportunity to help him out with your favorite amp. 😉
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 10/13/22 3:07 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 1:40 pm
I put a Tremolo TMB kit together for him, you'll have the opportunity to help him out with your favorite amp. 😉
Will do... with pleasure!👍
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh.. is he going to use the PCB?
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 10/15/22 3:59 am
Josh.. is he going to use the PCB?
Yes, but he has version 1.4x. I don't remember which version you had? 1.3x maybe? They're not that different tho.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I added the Tremolo TMB Build Guide to the Downloads section. Here's the direct link: files/JMPGuitars_Tremolo_TMB_Build_Guide.pdf

It's the 1st draft version I made in 2021. I'll update it eventually after getting feedback on it.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

I've gotta say, I'm real impressed with the details, components and guidance so far with this new build party box. Your build manual Josh is very cool, but I am also following earlier advice and watching some "understanding tube amp" schematics. It is about as exciting as watching a stagnant pond, but I am understanding the "what for's" of it better. I probably won't dig into getting started on this build until the wknd. I'm not in a rush, but am really enjoying the journey.....I'm good at soldering, but after watching these 80's videos on the do's n don'ts, I've got a ways to go. All the more reason I'm not rushing this project.......I've got a new P90 strat build I'm working on too. I'll be striping an old body and refinishing. Wiring from scratch. Slotted screws everywhere possible. Kind of a trademark of mine with guitars. I'll be bouncing from one to the other
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I'm glad you like the kit, and I'm also glad you watched the videos! I thought I was the best at soldering until I watched them, and then I somehow got a lot better. ;)

Taking your time is certainly a good choice, I look forward to seeing your amp's progress.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

jimoreilly
Unrated

Post by jimoreilly »

Josh,

Regarding your response on 9/27/2022

> Mojotone sells some good stuff, but their kits are terrible.

I’m curious - what specific issues have you seen with the MT kits? I’ve checked with them and confirmed the use Heyboer iron, so I’m assuming that’s not the issue.

An older review by premierguitar (https://www.premierguitar.com/amp/marsh ... 2651071080) doesn’t point out anything of real concern . . .

Thanks,

Jim
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

jimoreilly wrote:
Thu 12/29/22 6:54 pm
Josh,

Regarding your response on 9/27/2022

> Mojotone sells some good stuff, but their kits are terrible.

I’m curious - what specific issues have you seen with the MT kits? I’ve checked with them and confirmed the use Heyboer iron, so I’m assuming that’s not the issue.

An older review by premierguitar (https://www.premierguitar.com/amp/marsh ... 2651071080) doesn’t point out anything of real concern . . .

Thanks,

Jim
Do a search for mojotone on this website. Take a look at the thread right below this one on the homepage about a mojotone kit. Their layout and documents are garbage.

Obviously nothing wrong with Heyboer iron.

If you want the best experience, build from a layout/schematic from the Downloads section here.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale