18w new build kit recommendations

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

18w new build kit recommendations

Post by foreverstrung »

Yo all. I'm looking at a new kit. 18w. I've only seen a couple searching online, I wanted to see what you guys recommend. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up. LOL. Apologies.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18w new build kit recommendations

Post by JMPGuitars »

No matter what you go with, do NOT get a kit from Mojotone. Mojotone sells some good stuff, but their kits are terrible.

GDS, Trinity, and others make some great kits. I suggest looking at the downloads section at different projects and also discuss here what you actually want out of your amp.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

What's your experience level on electronics? Sourcing parts individually is maybe an option too? At least it's more flexible towards the choice of amps to build...
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

IDK that I'm skilled enough to locate every component for a build. I recently sold my 1974X. Loved it, hated to let it go, but that's another story. Anyways, I've replaced the power tranny in it. I've set bias in many many amps. I've modded pedals and some amps, but always with detailed instructions. I've got a lot mechanical skill as I've been a general contractor for a couple decades. Building stuff my entire life.
Buyin the components individually, I wouldn't know a premium cap from a POS cap. I def would like a new project. I actually have, brand new, leftover PT's for an 18w. So there's a start.
I've built dozens and dozens of guitars. Rehabbed more. Sold them as far as Australia, France and Spain. Many domestically. Not a lot of juice in them tho.
Anyways, appreciate any input. To clarify, not opposed to buying from a shopping list
TIA
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Trinity has a great set of 18W kits
Weber has a 18W kit
GDS has 18W kits
Ceriatone has 18W kits
1 x

Lorenzo73
Unrated

Post by Lorenzo73 »

Tube Town from Germany has a lot of stuff and the only kit I've purchased is excellent, a 18w TMB. But maybe it's too far for you.
1 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

Is this kit any good?
[url]https://tubedepot.com/products/classic- ... combo/[url]
Weber is out of stock
GDS looks good. Supply my own speaker and Cabinet
Trinity I've contacted. Waiting for a response as they have nothing currently available listed. That I can find anyways.
Tube Town looks like some pretty awesome kits, but not for me. I don't think I've got enough know how for their kits.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

foreverstrung wrote:
Sun 10/02/22 11:19 am
Is this kit any good?
[url]https://tubedepot.com/products/classic- ... -combo/url]
Weber is out of stock
GDS looks good. Supply my own speaker and Cabinet
Trinity I've contacted. Waiting for a response as they have nothing currently available listed. That I can find anyways.
Tube Town looks like some pretty awesome kits, but not for me. I don't think I've got enough know how for their kits.
Tube town is in Germany. Holland has Jukeboxrevival.eu. also very good kits...
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

foreverstrung wrote:
Sun 10/02/22 11:19 am
Is this kit any good?
[url]https://tubedepot.com/products/classic- ... -combo/url]
YES! Check the Technical Documentation tab on that page at the bottom -- the Assembly Manual will be helpful regardless of what you end up going with. I have not built any kits as I prefer scratch builds, but I use a lot of parts from TubeDepot and they're great. I also built an 18W amp using their 5E3+ PCB once. That's a great price for a kit too. Good luck!
2 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

In response to Josh a while back on what I'm looking for in an amp, well with this one, just to do it. I said earlier that I had a 1974x that I had to let go a couple months ago and hated having to do it. That being said, it is that "tone" I'm after, but I would just like to build the thing without damage to home and self and that when I plug it in it works. Pretty vanilla, but this is my first build. After going through it, I'm sure I'll discover options to consider. But for now, that's all I'm looking for.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

foreverstrung wrote:
Mon 10/03/22 6:41 am
In response to Josh a while back on what I'm looking for in an amp, well with this one, just to do it. I said earlier that I had a 1974x that I had to let go a couple months ago and hated having to do it. That being said, it is that "tone" I'm after, but I would just like to build the thing without damage to home and self and that when I plug it in it works. Pretty vanilla, but this is my first build. After going through it, I'm sure I'll discover options to consider. But for now, that's all I'm looking for.
In that case, if you want a kit, go for GDS, Trinity, or Ceriatone. I like the GDS version of the transformers the best from the kits. The PT uses lugs instead of leads, and the quality is excellent.

Personally, I don't like kits. I prefer to use CMF resistors for excellent sound and clean tone. Most kits offer some form of carbon resistors for magic nostalgia / magic mojo, but I'm not into that. ;)

I'd recommend looking at the "Modern Classic" series in the Downloads section, and build one of those.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

Consider also Valvestorm.
0 x

rphilyaw1
Unrated

Post by rphilyaw1 »

FWIW, I'm currently building the Tube Depot 18W head kit. Good quality components, and really good instructions plus a decent build video that just gives critical highlights so you can see the steps and Rob Hull's approach to builds. You can find the video on YouTube on the Tube Depot channel. This is only my 3rd amp build, so I definitely don't have an expert's perspective. I'm going very slow and quadruple checking every step. I'm down to the final wiring, so can't tell you how successful it is yet. There are a number of mods available with instructions, parts inventory and wiring diagrams for the mods including PPIMV, Tone Cut, EF86 preamp tube, alternate rectifier options, switchable tube/silicon diode rectifier circuits. I will say there are some discrepancies between the video, the instructions and wiring layouts in places as the circuit has been updated since the video was made. Be careful, reason through the alternatives and ask questions. Their email support is ok. I usually get an answer within a day or two, and any wrong/missing components are shipped same day (there were only a couple, nothing major). So far, I'm really enjoying the build and deliberately taking lots of time with it.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

If it were me, I would build the amp following Josh's documents. (Schematic and layout)
Those are bullit proof and especially the modern classic is more logically laid out than all other available versions. Less wires crossing and such. The PI tube is next to the power tubes, like it is on nearly all other amps.. its makes a lot more sense, since it is both physically and schematically right before the power amp. Components are almost identical, except for the input grid resistors and the screen resistors... this is definitely an improvement towards other designs.
viewtopic.php?t=25606
2 x

foreverstrung
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by foreverstrung »

Following Josh's advice, I took a look at those modern classic layouts and they all appear simple enough for me to read and following the "layout" drawing provided....... Schematics, not so much, I'll have to work on reading and understanding the technical schematics. Anyways, one of the reasons I wanted a kit, was to ensure I got everything needed, but also care that I get quality components. And honestly, with caps and resistors, IDK good from bad. Josh and other suggested a GDS kit possibly,(other kits were suggested too. I checked them all out) and I can do that, but I prefer the option of building an amp following this Modern Classic path and if I do choose to go with it, is there a shopping list? Can I get a thorough inventory? What would you suggest I do to choose quality components? Like I said, IDK wtf I'm choosing. AND that I get everything I need. I don't want to waste my $, but I'd prefer paying for quality. Don't want to cut any corners.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

foreverstrung wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 6:29 am
Following Josh's advice, I took a look at those modern classic layouts and they all appear simple enough for me to read and following the "layout" drawing provided....... Schematics, not so much, I'll have to work on reading and understanding the technical schematics. Anyways, one of the reasons I wanted a kit, was to ensure I got everything needed, but also care that I get quality components. And honestly, with caps and resistors, IDK good from bad. Josh and other suggested a GDS kit possibly,(other kits were suggested too. I checked them all out) and I can do that, but I prefer the option of building an amp following this Modern Classic path and if I do choose to go with it, is there a shopping list? Can I get a thorough inventory? What would you suggest I do to choose quality components? Like I said, IDK wtf I'm choosing. AND that I get everything I need. I don't want to waste my $, but I'd prefer paying for quality. Don't want to cut any corners.
Step 1: Get comfortable with the schematic. ;) It's daunting at first, but you just follow the signal from the input jack on the left, through the circuit, to the speaker jacks on the right. You'll learn a lot that way.

Step 2: Make a list of the components on the schematic. Check it twice. Use a highlighter after you've added components to your list. Then look at the layout for misc. items, hardware, etc. not included on a schematic.

For all regular resistors, I use 1W CMF Industrial resistors. Some of the values will be slightly off, but that doesn't matter. For example, I use 475K instead of 470K. Most of these circuits originally used carbon comp resistors, that were probably 10 to 20% tolerance, and drifted up over time. So a small difference in value is meaningless.

For some parts besides the CMF resistors, I have a BOM I made, which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/3RI6npI - that will take you to Mouser, which is where I get most general amp components from. Keep in mind that BOM has nothing specific for your amp, so you will need to pick and choose the parts you actually need.

I'd get your transformers directly from GDS.

You will need to make your own turret board, or I can make one for you. Email me at support at jmpguitars dot com if you want to inquire about options for a chassis and/or turret board.

For general amp components not sold by places like Mouser, there are other sources to look at. Mojotone is good (but avoid their kits at all costs), amplifiedparts, tubedepot, etc. all good. For anybody else on the other side of the pond, they can look at banzaimusic, or tube town.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 7:14 am
foreverstrung wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 6:29 am
Step 1: Get comfortable with the schematic. ;) It's daunting at first, but you just follow the signal from the input jack on the left, through the circuit, to the speaker jacks on the right. You'll learn a lot that way.

Step 2: Make a list of the components on the schematic. Check it twice. Use a highlighter after you've added components to your list. Then look at the layout for misc. items, hardware, etc. not included on a schematic.

For all regular resistors, I use 1W CMF Industrial resistors. Some of the values will be slightly off, but that doesn't matter. For example, I use 475K instead of 470K. Most of these circuits originally used carbon comp resistors, that were probably 10 to 20% tolerance, and drifted up over time. So a small difference in value is meaningless.

For some parts besides the CMF resistors, I have a BOM I made, which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/3RI6npI - that will take you to Mouser, which is where I get most general amp components from. Keep in mind that BOM has nothing specific for your amp, so you will need to pick and choose the parts you actually need.

I'd get your transformers directly from GDS.

You will need to make your own turret board, or I can make one for you. Email me at support at jmpguitars dot com if you want to inquire about options for a chassis and/or turret board.

For general amp components not sold by places like Mouser, there are other sources to look at. Mojotone is good (but avoid their kits at all costs), amplifiedparts, tubedepot, etc. all good. For anybody else on the other side of the pond, they can look at banzaimusic, or tube town.

Thanks,
Josh
Correction.. banzaimusic only when necessary.. waayy too expensive. Tubetown.de, jukeboxrevival.eu or sometimes retroparts.fr.
Jukeboxrevival is te least expensive, but they don't supply everything you need. I buy my transformers, tubes, resistors and caps there
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 10:47 am
Correction.. banzaimusic only when necessary.. waayy too expensive. Tubetown.de, jukeboxrevival.eu or sometimes retroparts.fr.
Jukeboxrevival is te least expensive, but they don't supply everything you need. I buy my transformers, tubes, resistors and caps there
That's funny. I needed some slightly rare tube sockets, and Banzai had both the best price, and cheapest shipping to the US. It took them 4 business days before shipping them though, I wasn't impressed with that.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 12:51 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Fri 10/07/22 10:47 am
That's funny. I needed some slightly rare tube sockets, and Banzai had both the best price, and cheapest shipping to the US. It took them 4 business days before shipping them though, I wasn't impressed with that.
That's what I meant with absolute necessary. I recently ordered a weber Bass 15.. 11 weeks!!! And I ordered the Ampeg tolex.. they were the only one selling that over here... first order came in a box the size of a shoe box.. i was like: NOOOOOOO!!!! I sent it back with the remark "what the h€ll were you huys thinking???".. they shipped me new tolex though..bent in "half" this time around.. i could live with that
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Sorry dude.. I accidenally deleted your post about only being able to read layouts.

Here's my reply:

You'll learn in time relying on layouts is the wrong approach. Instead of learning and comprehending the logic of a circuit, you only limit yourself to seeing "what goes to what". And that makes it hard to troubleshoot problems you will most likely run into. You should think in terms of, for instance, this plate connects to that coupling cap.. not this wire goes from this point to that point...
1 x