36 watt plexi 6v6

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Calamardo

36 watt plexi 6v6

Post by Calamardo »

hello again, i been thinking about the 18watt plexi 6v6 (by mark huss) but is not enough for me. Have anyone a schematic connection for 4 6v6 (36watt)?.Thank you
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I've built the 2x 6v6 18. And we have the 36 4xEL84.
There isn't much parts to add for 2 extra tubes. And then figure out what transformer you might want to use for the amp. Bruce Collins has been working with Weber,and i believe they have a double deluxe. Those trannys should make a nice 4x 6V6 amp.

Richie
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

ok, thanks. But my problem is the connection of the 4 6v6. Any idea?
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

have somebody any idea how connect 4 6v6?. Some schematic it could help me. Thanks :D
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

i can make a drawing of what to hookup and maybe a few suggestions..but will be sometime tomorrow before i can post it,i'm just now going out the door to hear a band play..

Richie
0 x

LeeMo
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by LeeMo »

I'm new to amp building , so I don't know much. However, I'd suggest that you look at the Vox AC30 and compare that to a AC15 schematic. The tubes are in parallel pairs. Also , check a AB763 Twin against a AB763 Super Reverb.

Good Luck!

LeeMo
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

thanks to all!!!. Other question: the filter caps have the same values?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

here is another crude drawing..but it might explain or give you an idea of how to hook things up. Now alot may depend on what your useing for trannys,and what voltages,so i made the cathode 220 ohm for each pair.
Yours could vary say from 200 ohm for each pair to 250 ohm.
The bypass cap for the cathode could also 50 to 500uf i guess depends on what one likes to use.
I put the grid stoppers at 1.5k from the 8.2k. And moved them to the tube pins from the board. Like most fenders,it uses pin 1 of the 6v6 as just a solder point, same for pin 6.. its just a solder point for the screen grid resistors,and the connection to the resistor.
Here is the 6v6 pin data.
Pin Element
1 Shell-6V6 none-6V6GT
2 Heater (Filament)
3 Plate (Anode)
4 Screen Grid
5 Control Grid
6 none
7 Heater (Filament)
8 Cathode

As for the filter caps,the values should be ok. 50uf for the cap can would also work ok.

Richie
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

drawing

Post by markh »

hi Richie,

At first glance, your picture looks like somebody's kid's artwork. <lol>
But on closer examination it is perfectly clear, correct, and easy to understand, so there's really nothing to criticize!!

What schematic, speakers and guitar did you use for the 36 watt RICHAMP clips -- the Angus sound is dead on! The zounds and playing are :!: awesome :!: as always, too.

--mark
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

:D thanks to all guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, one of this days i will show you my great first 18 lite II amp. See you!
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

""""At first glance, your picture looks like somebody's kid's artwork"""

Mark.. thanks for the complement,i have improved up to kid level now.. :) I'll be the first to tell anyone,i'm not good at the art work.plus not much time taken to just show how the 6v6s hooked up..

The Rich-amp is 36 watter,EL84s Guitar is a 97 stock LP..cab was a mesa boogie 4x12..it was at the place it was recorded.
I should have took time to record the strat too,it sounds different.

The schematic layout should be done soon. Nik is doing the drawing,and its much better than my art work..LOL

The amp is the TMB channel,and has the feedback switch,and it also has thetrem volume tone values used for the normal channel, fed into the TMB tube,so you can use the tone control of the first channel,and still use the TMB added with it.

While your here..i posted a site of a band, i work on there amps. But they use one of those Fender PS300 amps for bass.. I thought you might like to hear it.. They will also be out in LA soon,and doing some shows,they will be taking this amp with them. So maybe Dan and some guys out in LA can hear it live.. heres a link to the band,and the song with the PS300..
I think they also use a soundcity 150 bass amp too..
www.americanminormusic.com

Richie
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

mark or richie, a little question: can i use the same voltage values that show the 18w 6v6 schem, for the 36w?
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

Which 6V6 schema are you referring to? I think the voltages on my 'plexi 6V6' would work fine for a four-by version.

The voltages on two- and four- tube amps are usually about the same, e.g., 50-watt vs. 100-watt Marshalls. The four-tube ones just deliver more current, and therfore more power (voltage times current equals power).

--mark
0 x

Calamardo

Post by Calamardo »

Ok!. Im referring to Mark Huss "Plexi 6v6",are you Mark Huss? you are a genius!!!.
Now 2 questions:
1) the hookup (thanks for your work Richie) it seem to be for a 36w tmb, but help me a little to understand. Am i wrong?. I think that is very different to a Plexi 6v6 schem.

2) Is possible add a footswitch for gain boost? I take a idea from Jersey Aaron´s TMB layout and from MarK Huss Plexi 50w schem. The right values for this are: R=820ohm, C=680n ?

Thank!
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Well it is different, the pic shows cathode bias,and the way to hook up 4x 6V6's.. no presence control etc..many vlaues are also different.
The plexi isn't cathode biased. Mark's amps is very nice,and olny uses 2x6V6's . And a few changes to run the 6V6s.. I have also used 2 6V6s with a stock built 18 type amp,and a TMB 6V6 version. They can sound very good.

Richie
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: 36 watt plexi 6v6

Post by zaphod_phil »

Calamardo wrote:i been thinking about the 18watt plexi 6v6 (by mark huss) but is not enough for me. Have anyone a schematic connection for 4 6v6 (36watt)?
Are you sure the regular 2 X 6V6 version isn't going to be enough for you. I would guess the standard version will probably put out something around 22W or more, which is one very loud amp! A friend of mine built one recently and he's having to use an attenuator on it most of the time.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp