Turning Trem Channel into TMB or JCM/1959SLP?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

LarsonLE
Unrated

Turning Trem Channel into TMB or JCM/1959SLP?

Post by LarsonLE »

Hey all, I built a monotone 18 watt amp back in 2014, and honestly, it has just been sitting around collecting dust as much as I hate to say it. I've honestly not been playing a lot of guitar but recently have been picking it back up. Bought some new guitars to try and help motivate myself to play more if that makes any sense. So far it has been working. Anyhow, I'm dying to play my 18 watt more, however it doesn't have a master volume on it which I would love to have. I'm just a home player and 18 watts is just too darn loud, especially with a 2 year old. I never use the tremolo channel really at all and I think it would be cool to convert it into a TMB or maybe something else? Thoughts?
Last edited by LarsonLE on Sat 02/11/23 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Turning Trem Channel into TMB or JCM/1959SLP?

Post by JMPGuitars »

Get (or build) a good attenuator.

You'd probably be best replacing the circuit board with the variation you want. Keep the old one in tact, you could make a demo and maybe sell it if you want.

If you only need one channel, I would look at the Superlite TMB circuit in the Downloads section. If you want the option for more gain, then look at the Xtra TMB series.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

LarsonLE
Unrated

Post by LarsonLE »

So I wanted to get your opinion about my 18 watt tremolo amp. I remember there was always this little issue where the tremolo channel bleeds into the normal channel when playing the normal channel. So if I have the tremolo pots turned on in any fashion, it will bleed thru to the normal channel. however i just hooked up the footswitch to the amp and that issue was resolved with the footswitch in place. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I found someone on this forum who is describing my exact issue at hand (a post from 2004!): viewtopic.php?t=2709
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Replace the footswitch jack with a switched Cliff type and wire it so the tremolo is grounded when no footswitch is inserted. Byebye ticking and thumping
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"