Heritage Greenback in Blackstar Artisan combo

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Bigsby67
Unrated

Heritage Greenback in Blackstar Artisan combo

Post by Bigsby67 »

Hello I am new to these lovely forums. I recently purchased a Blackstar Artisan combo which apparently has similar topology to the Marshall 1974. It is listed as dual EL84 and 15 watts but apparently these are biased very hot and will definitely put out more than 15 watts.

I currently have a Celestion Vintage 30 in the combo but it's quite loud and brash. I am hoping to put a Heritage G12M in the combo because the warmer tone and 96 dB vs 100 dB efficiency should get me closer to the volume/tone I am seeking.

My only worry is that the Heritage G12M is listed as a 20 watt speaker. I have also heard that open-back cabinets allow more speaker excursion which may damage the little G12M 20 watter. I am attaching a reversed-engineered circuit diagram I found online since Blackstar won't release that info.

Can anyone provide insight on the safety of this speaker/amp? Also the amp is pretty awesome - it's all turret board construction, has a 12AX7 and EF86 channel, and only volume and tone knobs for each channel. Very raw barebones sound. It was purchased for $1200 CAD which is way below the cost of any handwired Marshall or Vox amps I can find.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Heritage Greenback in Blackstar Artisan combo

Post by Bieworm »

Just put a regular 25W greenback in it. Much cheaper and you won’t look back.. they sound awesome
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bigsby67
Unrated

Post by Bigsby67 »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 03/29/23 4:00 pm
Just put a regular 25W greenback in it. Much cheaper and you won’t look back.. they sound awesome
I looked at the regular Greenback, but they aren't in stock in my city, and a few online retailers have the 20 watt Greenbacks in stock for the same price as the regular greenbacks ($230 CAD including taxes and shipping).

Not sure if that makes the regular Greenbacks overpriced or the Heritage a good deal, but I am tempted to pick one up because I know I can get a regular Greenback at any time, but these Heritage ones are discontinued.

But thanks for the reply. I will see if anyone else has any experience with these Heritage ones before I make a decision. I think the Marshall 1974x came with the 20 watt Heritage so you'd think it is safe to use.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

For 18W amps I would rather look for a G12H30. Preferably an early 70’s one. Otherwise one from the heritage series. Avoid the 70th anniversary series though… they’re horribly harsh
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

chaliapin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chaliapin »

Bigsby67 wrote:
Wed 03/29/23 3:29 pm
Hello I am new to these lovely forums. I recently purchased a Blackstar Artisan combo which apparently has similar topology to the Marshall 1974. It is listed as dual EL84 and 15 watts but apparently these are biased very hot and will definitely put out more than 15 watts.

I currently have a Celestion Vintage 30 in the combo but it's quite loud and brash. I am hoping to put a Heritage G12M in the combo because the warmer tone and 96 dB vs 100 dB efficiency should get me closer to the volume/tone I am seeking.

My only worry is that the Heritage G12M is listed as a 20 watt speaker. I have also heard that open-back cabinets allow more speaker excursion which may damage the little G12M 20 watter. I am attaching a reversed-engineered circuit diagram I found online since Blackstar won't release that info.

Can anyone provide insight on the safety of this speaker/amp? Also the amp is pretty awesome - it's all turret board construction, has a 12AX7 and EF86 channel, and only volume and tone knobs for each channel. Very raw barebones sound. It was purchased for $1200 CAD which is way below the cost of any handwired Marshall or Vox amps I can find.

Thanks!
How does the 5w/ single ended mode work for you?
0 x

Bigsby67
Unrated

Post by Bigsby67 »

chaliapin wrote:
Thu 03/30/23 11:58 am
How does the 5w/ single ended mode work for you?
I like the sound of 5 watt mode. Still very loud, but less treble and bass - kind of rounder and more compressed than 15 watt mode. I already own three 5 watt amps so I was hoping to use this as an intermediate between my Champs and my Bassman. Even in 5 watt mode it's still closer in volume to my Bassman than any of my 5 watters.

But you have given me an idea - I can definitely keep the amp in 15 watt mode for playing clean/mild OD. Then 5 watt mode if I want to crank it up and use a boost etc.

And to the other poster who suggested a G12H30...I love those speakers but again with the 100 dB sensitivity and the big treble and mids it projects, it wouldn't be much of a change from my Vintage 30. The Heritage Greenback is 96 dB and is much more mellow in the high mids/treble even compared to the normal Greenback.

I think I'm settled on ordering the Heritage G12M because now I realize if I want to crank up my amp I can just use 5 watt mode (duh!).
1 x