Looking for help identifying an amp I've had for years.

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

moresupial
Unrated

Looking for help identifying an amp I've had for years.

Post by moresupial »

First post, so bear with me. I bought this off of a customer when I worked for Sam Ash in Indianapolis about a decade ago for $150 out of the back of his Jeep and assumed it was a modified 1974 circuit. After doing a little research, I'm not sure what it is. It sounds great and very Marshall-y, but it's been too long since I've played older Marshall circuits to compare to memory and it's certainly much more primitive tone than my '86 2203. Any leads would be appreciated, as I've been unable to find who the local builder was and I know little more about amp building than where to not stick my fingers. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Looking for help identifying an amp I've had for years.

Post by Bieworm »

I’m sure there are other kitchen loving guys that got inspired by looking at the shape of an oven pan that build amps like this, but I have seen Grant Wills from Lamington amps (Australia) building prototypes that way. Also the point to point setup is what he does very often
Apart from the less appealing look of it, that is a very dangerous device (being open and all) and should never be passed on from the builder to somebody else.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Unit_1

Post by Unit_1 »

Well it appears to be an 18w EL84, tube rectified, using .047 coupling caps and a 10uf bias cap on the first stage. So probably someone's idea of a custom layout. Would probably take an AI to sort through all the designs it was the closest to.

At a minimum for safety it should be in an insulated enclosure, perhaps a bread box with a clear front window to perpetuate the cooking theme!

I cringe when I see those ptp builds. Like, why? Circuit board are the easiest part to build, and can be made with a drill and a center-punch.....
0 x
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

"I cringe when I see those ptp builds. Like, why?"

Speed. Someone who builds ptp repetitively can build a simple circuit like that in a very short time. personally there is a lot of satisfaction in laying out and building in that form. Cheap too.

Plenty support for ptp on our sister site Wattkins.com

Dd
3 x

moresupial
Unrated

Post by moresupial »

Unit_1 wrote:
Fri 06/16/23 12:12 pm

At a minimum for safety it should be in an insulated enclosure, perhaps a bread box with a clear front window to perpetuate the cooking theme!
I have been looking at tall and sturdy roll top breadboxes with a slide out cutting board to house the thing. Then I can slap together a burlap grillecloth fronted butcher block 112 cabinet with a stencil spray painted "flour" badge on the front.
3 x