36w Lite - single tone control? pentode v1? PT?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

36w Lite - single tone control? pentode v1? PT?

Post by yello »

I'm reading up on the 36w amps - especially Josh's Superlite TMB. Mainly interested in big bottle octals for power as opposed to four el84's.

I'm wondering if there is a simplified version of the Superlite TMB with a single tone knob that has been put together?

What about an ef86 (or 5879) pentode front end? I built he 18w ef96 Lite 2P and love how it sounds.

Also, looks like the same 290-0-290 type PT is used for the 36w. Can a higher voltage PT be used? Trying to figure out what PT's I have on hand that might work, but all are more in the 330-360v range.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 36w Lite - single tone control? pentode v1? PT?

Post by JMPGuitars »

If you love the EF86 Lite 2P, build it again with a 36W power amp section.

The whole point of the Superlite TMB is the TMB and a cascaded 12AX7 preamp tube (while being relatively simple with only 4 tubes). You could make a 12AX7 Lite 2C, which would just be a cascaded preamp version of the Lite 2b.

But if you want the pentode preamp, stick with what you know you like.

You can mix and match my preamps and power amps if you know what you're doing.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 07/17/23 4:10 pm
If you love the EF86 Lite 2P, build it again with a 36W power amp section.

The whole point of the Superlite TMB is the TMB and a cascaded 12AX7 preamp tube (while being relatively simple with only 4 tubes). You could make a 12AX7 Lite 2C, which would just be a cascaded preamp version of the Lite 2b.

But if you want the pentode preamp, stick with what you know you like.

You can mix and match my preamps and power amps if you know what you're doing.
Superlite TMB is simply the first 36w schematic I found here on 18w.com - doing my initial searching to see about building a 2x octal power tube amp with some 18w preamp roots. Having tried a TMB amp, I think I prefer a single tone control like on my ef86 Lite 2P.

I do like the pentode pre, but am not married to that, I like 12ax7s too.

"If you know what you are doing" is always the key - still learning more each day on this amp adventure.

I suppose what appeals to me is a "minimalist" type 36w.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

If you're sure you want to build it, I can make docs for the EF86 Lite 2P with a 36W power amp.

If you use your higher power PT, you'll just need to bias the tubes correctly for it, and temper the B+ (if necessary). You need to look at tube datasheets and see what the tubes are cool with, and then use your ears and see if you like the higher voltage or not.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 07/18/23 10:05 am
If you're sure you want to build it, I can make docs for the EF86 Lite 2P with a 36W power amp.

If you use your higher power PT, you'll just need to bias the tubes correctly for it, and temper the B+ (if necessary). You need to look at tube datasheets and see what the tubes are cool with, and then use your ears and see if you like the higher voltage or not.
A great offer - before I have you go to the trouble, I suppose I should ponder OT as well. Schematic for 36w says "36w OT" - but what spec is it? 4K @ 30-40 watts? I think all the OT's I have on hand are more 8k range for 20 watt amps. Maybe I should be doing a 6V6 Lite 2P instead of the larger octals like EL34 or 6L6? I certainly don't need MORE volume than my el84 18w, just want to try some octals.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

yello wrote:
Tue 07/18/23 11:08 am
A great offer - before I have you go to the trouble, I suppose I should ponder OT as well. Schematic for 36w says "36w OT" - but what spec is it? 4K @ 30-40 watts? I think all the OT's I have on hand are more 8k range for 20 watt amps. Maybe I should be doing a 6V6 Lite 2P instead of the larger octals like EL34 or 6L6? I certainly don't need MORE volume than my el84 18w, just want to try some octals.
Yup, 4K. I guess you need to decide what you're trying to do. If you want an IDEAL amp, use ideal transformers. If you want to work with what you have, then do that. You'll eventually build the ideal version anyway. 😉
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 07/18/23 11:43 am
I guess you need to decide what you're trying to do. You'll eventually build the ideal version anyway. 😉
Does anyone ever build parallel single ended 18w amps? Could be el84, 6V6, or EL34 power amp. I love the sound and feel of single ended stuff. That might be ideal for me over a big 40w PP 36w.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I built the Tremolo TMB reverb in SE with an EL34. It has its own throat. Rather boxy and woody the way a Champ 5F1 behaves. Nice to have, but it ain’t nowhere near the fat tone of the EL84 PP brother
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

yello
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by yello »

Bieworm wrote:
Tue 07/18/23 2:42 pm
boxy and woody the way a Champ 5F1 behaves
Yes!

I'll search for your thread on that amp, I think I remember reading it at one point.
1 x