Stumped! Mojotone 18watt Tmb blowing fuses

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Stumped! Mojotone 18watt Tmb blowing fuses

Post by JMPGuitars »

Maybe, you could be right. Or it could be that the current draw is low enough to hide the problem. This is a very messy build from the photos. There are solder blobs in multiple spots. A LOT of issues with grounding. For example, the output is grounded to a tube socket mounting bolt. That's a double no-no. Speaker output should be grounded to the star ground, and mounting bolts shouldn't be used for grounding at all. All grounds should have dedicate mounting points that serve no other purpose.

I don't know if it's just camera angles, but there are also other points that look like they could be shorting, or arcing and causing a short. The resistor on the cap can isn't touching, but it's darn close. Same with this heater wire.
Screenshot 2023-07-24 144042.jpg
Why is it twisted like that? Is the connection good? Is it arcing, or causing some other fault? etc. etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

mac dillard

Re: Stumped! Mojotone 18watt Tmb blowing fuses

Post by mac dillard »

Also, old builders saying "never trust a wire that makes it's connection under the board where you can't see it." Strange things happen in the dark, under the board is in the dark.
2 x