Noob Builder Transformer Question

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

StiffSisters
Unrated

Noob Builder Transformer Question

Post by StiffSisters »

Hi forum, short time lurker with two fender builds under my belt so far.

I was gifted a non functioning project amp with 36 watt transformers that ran with four 6V6s.

(Sorry, looks like I haven't figured out linking photos on this forum yet...)
https://flic.kr/p/2oV8r3B
https://flic.kr/p/2oV6UMe

My question is, what would you build with these transformers? How do I figure out what these transformers will work with, power tube-wise?

I haven't done much research yet and am very much at the beginning of my amp building journey but I would love to end up with something in the hi gain jcm800 realm, either 6V6 or EL84. Any suggestions? Thank you!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Noob Builder Transformer Question

Post by JMPGuitars »

I use those transformers for any of my 36W circuits available in the downloads section. I use a pair of EL34s, but if you want EL84s, you could use it with a quad of them.

To add images here, you can drag and drop images into the editor box, or below that, there's a tab that says Attachments.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

"I would love to end up with something in the hi gain jcm800 realm, either 6V6 or EL84."

That's what I did after years of collecting the main parts. I built the JCM800 2204 front end, then added a spring reverb and buffered effects loop. I also used a 5AR4 rectifier, rather than SS diodes.

An output transformer designed to drive four 6V6s is also suitable to drive four EL84 or two EL34. I opted for a pair of EL34 to simplify tube changes down the road. Good luck with your project!

viewtopic.php?t=25822

Jack
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Remember that building high gain circuits the level of building skill has higher requirements. You will run into the land of oscillations pretty quick. Lead dress is crucial here. F€nder circuits are pretty forgiving in that area. You will need shielded wire a lot😎
That said.. a moderate powered JTM is a cool amp too.
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

StiffSisters
Unrated

Post by StiffSisters »

I appreciate the feedback, been looking at the schematics and layouts in the downloads section.

As Bieworm stated, hi-gain can be oscillation nation so I am looking for a tried and true layout to copy with rote skill and little to no improvisation.
0 x

wmwelch55
Unrated

Post by wmwelch55 »

I have built a couple of 6V6 amps using the Chupacabra layout on Ceriatone. Both of them worked out great. I agree with the need for shielded wire. Without it, a high gain amp is a buzz machine.

Mike
1 x