1970 Original Power transformer #277124

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

pinhead-1
Unrated

1970 Original Power transformer #277124

Post by pinhead-1 »

Hello all,
I have a 1970 2x10 18 watt. It has a strange PT with a lot of the markings worn off the solder terminals. I believe it is a Drake, # 277124. Has anyone seen one/have one to help with wiring it properly. It was buggered overseas. Thanks in advance.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 1970 Original Power transformer #277124

Post by JMPGuitars »

It would help if you posted some photos. What about it was buggered?
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Plus.. you say you have a 70’s 1958 Marshall. If the power transformer is still wired in and functions, why would you need to know which wire is what? It should be quite obvious.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 09/04/23 11:29 am
Plus.. you say you have a 70’s 1958 Marshall. If the power transformer is still wired in and functions, why would you need to know which wire is what? It should be quite obvious.
He said it was buggered overseas. So I assume the wall voltage would be wired incorrectly for use in the USA, even if nothing is wrong with it otherwise, unless there's an AC voltage switch.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

pinhead-1
Unrated

Post by pinhead-1 »

If it was working properly, I would not be asking for information. It arrived DOA, and the entire amp was butchered previously. I also did not think a pic of the transformer number or unmarked terminal would be of much help. As I said, there are multiple solder tabs for the primary and secondary windings, along with a couple filament windings and a few other random voltages. I was simply hoping someone here would have the same transformer with legible markings.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Well, you could certainly wait for somebody with the same 53 year old transformer to respond to you, if they ever see it.

Or... You could respond kindly with the information that was requested so that we can help you fix your amp. If we see a photo of what you're working with, we might be able to give you a place to start to confirm what's what, or maybe somebody else will recognize it.

You can also try your luck searching through photos in the galleries.

I understand you being frustrated with the situation regarding your amp, but it's not appropriate to take that out here on the people trying to help you.

Also, keep in mind that this is an international site, so sometimes there may be a language barrier if you're describing your issue with slang. English is not everybody's first language.
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

pinhead-1
Unrated

Post by pinhead-1 »

I did not intend to come off frustrated or taking anything out on anyone. I was just trying to respond to the comments in a succinct manner. I also understand things can be mistaken in text. So moving on. I have scoured the net, transformer authorities, and the pics in your gallery, still not still coming up empty. That is why I took the chance on info from a group so dedicated, hoping someone has one similar.
Attached are the aforementioned pics. BTW the transformer is potted not burnt or melted, though it looks like it. I have it running at this point but still question my back engineering of the primary. I am trying to verify the missing terminal notations. I assume nothing and take nothing for granted. Thanks again for your interest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

You're 100% right about that, really easy to read stuff weird in text.

If you have it operating, test your voltages to ground. That's the best way to confirm. The PT will be all AC voltages, so please share them here.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

I think it's safe to assume the chunky red wires and the black one are the filament winding
0 x

pinhead-1
Unrated

Post by pinhead-1 »

I wired the "chunky" red and black wires wires they are 170v-o-170v ac main supply. The other red and black are non- center tapped 6v. In will draw a pdf of the current info I have and post it later. B+ Power supply is still slightly low. I am off to work for the day. Thanks guys.
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

pinhead-1 wrote:
Wed 09/06/23 7:51 am
I wired the "chunky" red and black wires wires they are 170v-o-170v ac main supply. The other red and black are non- center tapped 6v. In will draw a pdf of the current info I have and post it later. B+ Power supply is still slightly low. I am off to work for the day. Thanks guys.
Strange. Why would they dedicate the thickest wires to the lowest current carrying?.. bizarre
0 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 09/06/23 12:00 pm
Strange. Why would they dedicate the thickest wires to the lowest current carrying?.. bizarre
Maybe it's only the insulation that's thicker, perhaps for a higher voltage rating. Just guessing, of course. It could be 12 Ga for all I know. :lol:

Jack
1 x

pinhead-1
Unrated

Post by pinhead-1 »

As I said, I wired the transformer as shown. You do not want to see it as I did for the first time. The entire amp was a mess. The lead size you are questioning was salvaged from a new transformer installation elsewhere. It is cut-offs of the high voltage secondary. Yes, the insulation is thick. The heater wire is a heavier gauge but rated at a lower voltage. But thanks for noticing.
2 x

pinhead-1
Unrated

Post by pinhead-1 »

Mystery solved! I was fortunate enough today to come across the same transformer for sale online with photos of the legible notations needed. I was able to verify that I did have it connected properly. Also turns out that it is a British PYE transformer, not Drake as I was told previously. So as promised here is a PDF of the solder terminals in case anyone else my stumble across one. Thanks for your time, and hospitality. I will stick around and maybe contribute sometime.
PYE 227124 power transformer.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x