First 18 watt and I’m using Sour Sound Iron

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Jason Patrick
Unrated

First 18 watt and I’m using Sour Sound Iron

Post by Jason Patrick »

Hi-ya , Newb here, just joined. Decided to build myself an 18 watt since Bryan Sours has made a transformer set available w/ choke. I’ll be picking them up next weekish! Anyways, I’ve built a few fender 5f4 supers and some 5e3s but this will be my first “Marshall” type build and my first English style amp ( I have too many fenders clone 5f4, 5e3, 1969 deluxe reverb, 1964-65 PR, 1963 6g6b, 1961 6G4A) Haven’t decided on head or combo yet, seems finding the Shelf style chassis is a search. I Was looking at the Mojo stuff but I kinda don’t like out how they mount their chassis in the combo since they just use that one style chassis. I’m assuming they attach it to the back panel? So the tubes point to the front? I think it would be wonky. Anyways, still sourcing parts etc and I’m open to all the suggestions, quality parts and tips. This will be just a stock trem circuit going into either 2-10 or 1-12. Kinda thinking just a 12 at the moment or if I build a head I’ll just plug the 5e3 cab into it :D
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: First 18 watt and I’m using Sour Sound Iron

Post by JMPGuitars »

Welcome to the site!

Your best bet is to look in the downloads section on this site for a good schematic and layout.

If you're not sure about which circuit to build, let us know what you want out of the amp.

Whatever you do, don't get a kit from mojotone or tubedepot or stewmac. Mojotone cabinets are nice though. You can get a top mounted cabinet from them if you want. I've built many amps using their cabinets (usually with my own custom chassis) and have never had any issues.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Jason Patrick
Unrated

Post by Jason Patrick »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 09/19/23 10:51 am
Welcome to the site!

Your best bet is to look in the downloads section on this site for a good schematic and layout.

If you're not sure about which circuit to build, let us know what you want out of the amp.

Whatever you do, don't get a kit from mojotone or tubedepot or stewmac. Mojotone cabinets are nice though. You can get a top mounted cabinet from them if you want. I've built many amps using their cabinets (usually with my own custom chassis) and have never had any issues.

Thanks,
Josh
Thanks. Yeah I’m going to source all the small bits and use what I have laying around. How do you feel about the mojo chassis?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Jason Patrick wrote:
Tue 09/19/23 11:18 am
Thanks. Yeah I’m going to source all the small bits and use what I have laying around. How do you feel about the mojo chassis?
Their chassis is fine with their top mount cabinet, and less effort if you have them drill for it. Their stuff in general is probably fine, just avoid the kits and documentation.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale